Where to store hatching eggs?

I have some eggs that have been sitting on the counter for a couple of days. COuld I use those? I suddenly have a broody hen and want to put a few eggs under her just to test the water of chick hatching under a broody, well on a really small scale... Can I put eggs of different sizes under her? I have BO eggs as well as silkie and cochin. Can I mix them? And how many will be ok?

You can do it, but some of the smaller eggs may hatch sooner. Heck, I always have standard eggs hatch a day early so why not? I'd go ahead. If you hen is a larger hen, she can probably handle 10-12. Just be sure she can cover them all sufficiently.

She is a tiny little bantam. I was thinking of putting three small eggs and 5 large eggs under her and then just watching her today to see if they all fit under her and if not to take the ones that are peeking out the sides?

Well, I think I am going to pull out one of the eggs this evening. THey are all under her but it seems a little bit borderline. I think the polish eggs are probably not fertilised so will pull that one. If I can't see them are they sufficiently covered?

I would think so, but check periodically and if she keeps letting one peek out the side and tucking it back in, there may be one too many. Just use your common sense and if you feel one needs to be pulled out, I'd remove it.

Back
Top Bottom