Where to store?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by rays123, Apr 17, 2009.

1. rays123

rays123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2008
    GA
    im planning on hatching some more eggs and from what ive read i need to keep them in a cool place around 55 degrees. wheres a good place to put them?

2. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    I store mine at room temp. Around 70* turning them once a day.

3. rays123

rays123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2008
    GA
    B. Saffles Farms :

I store mine at room temp. Around 70* turning them once a day.

how long do they last like that?​

4. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    10 days is the longest I keep them before I set them.

5. kingmt

kingmt Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Mason WV
    I store mine in a unused fridge that is set at 50^.

6. duck&chickencrazy

duck&chickencrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2008
    Indiana
    I was thinking about something a couple of days ago and it was about storing eggsand my thought was...

when the broodys lay eggs they lay 1 a day and can lay up to 12 or 13 in one clutch...that means 12 or 13 days the eggs sit...then the hens just lay them anywhere, no where in particular and the temp where they are layed may be really high or really low....

but my point is the hens sit on them and then usually have a really good hatch...and i was wondereing who came up with the storage temp before hand...cause honestly i just sent them out until i have enough (i never turn them or make sure they are in 55 degrees or whatever it is) and i always have a decent hatch....

so honestly i dont think it really matters what temp you set them out....my female duck layed eggs in her nest for a while and the days that she was waiting for enough differed in temps... one day would be really hot and the next might be cold but she sat on them after she layed enough and they are doing great so far

Last edited: May 26, 2009
  7. chickie_mama

chickie_mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Lula, GA
    duck&chickencrazy :

I was thinking about something a couple of days ago and it was about storing eggsand my thought was...

when the broodys lay eggs they lay 1 a day and can lay up to 12 or 13 in one clutch...that means 12 or 13 days the eggs sit...then the hens just lay them anywhere, no where in particular and the temp where they are layed may be really high or really low....

but my point is the hens sit on them and then usually have a really good hatch...and i was wondereing who came up with the storage temp before hand...cause honestly i just sent them out until i have enough (i never turn them or make sure they are in 55 degrees or whatever it is) and i always have a decent hatch....

so honestly i dont think it really matters what temp you set them out....my female duck layed eggs in her nest for a while and the days that she was waiting for enough differed in temps... one day would be really hot and the next might be cold but she sat on them after she layed enough and they are doing great so far

Hmmmm........ Makes sense!!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. The Wolf Queen

The Wolf Queen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    Beleive it or not I keep mine in the fridge. I had 10 now 9 EEs (ironicly one of my none broody hens squished it, trying to lay in that nest, stupid hen [​IMG]) due to hatch this Saturday and they are all developing beautifully [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2009
  9. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Quote:Hmmmm........ Makes sense!!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

Makes sense to me, too -- though I wonder if the hen doesn't turn them some while collecting the clutch of eggs -- you'd think they'd get moved some just by her laying more, or getting on and off the nest. So I'd be more inclined to turn them now and then, than to worry too much about the temp.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by