where will they lay?

Chilebound

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 15, 2010
I am in my first full year of chicken: My second try flock (the first flock was whiped out last fall by a neighbors dog) arrived March 3 from Meyers. i have a little over thirty chickens split into two flocks. Twelve or so are in the tractor but free range all day and are locked back up at night in the tractor. The second flock live in a perment 8x8 house with a 50'x20' run.

they have not started to lay yet--that I know of, the free-range flock NEVER enter the coop part of the tractor during the day. They come back to eat and drink IN the tractor--but never go into the coop until night. THey are happy under the bushes when not foraging. The flock that is in jail loves to spend all thier free time under the shed. (I built it so that they could hide under it for hawk protection). Their food is inside the coop so they do go in but I have never seen one even look at the nesting boxes.

Will they lay eggs in the coop or will they lay in the bushes/under the coop where they like to hang out durring the day? I have put fake eggs and golf balls in the nesting boxes.....should I close of the underneith of the shed? Am I looking for eggs too early? (they are a mixed bunch some of these some of those, BR, EE, Wyandotte, Delware, Orp, SS etc)

Hens on average take about 20 weeks to begin laying. Some breeds take longer. First do the math, then if you're well above the 20 weeks, then go egg hunting! LOL

How old are they? They can start laying anywhere between 4 to 8 months. If around that age I would start looking or maybe keep them in the tractor for at least a full day.

thanks--I guess I am looking too hard too soon. They are just now 16 weeks if I am doin the math right (they are March 1 hatches) so about this time next month I should start to look harder......I need to relax and let nature take its course

Back
Top Bottom