Where's my bed?

Sock Puppet

Grumpy Hen
10 Years
Mar 3, 2009
Mesa, Arizona
Well, I finally got my 8 little ones outside today
big_smile.png
Well, ok they are a little overdue. The oldest is 10 weeks, yeah I know I cant believe I waited that long. but in my defense they are Bantams
big_smile.png

Well, I put them out in their intermediate brooder cage, its a low cage so you have to squat to get in) . They had fun all day scratching and taking dust baths, etc. I kept finding my two little girls in the cage with them, getting just as dirty.

Anyway, it was starting to get dark so we made sure that we filled thier water and gave them food. Then we went in. Well, a little bit later they were making this huge racket, very loud peeping, I looked out and couldnt see anything wrong. I noticed they were all huddled by the cage door. So I decided to go out and check to see why they were chirping so loudly. I couldnt see anything. They were all just standing their looking at me. Then it dawned on me that this is the time for them to go to bed. I forgot to put a bed in there for them. They couldnt figure out what to do.

So I went to grab a container box, filled it with bedding, got a board so the bedding wouldnt fall out of the box and headed for their cage.

I opened the door and started to scoot in and one flew at me and landed on my shoulder. What the heck, normally they dont do that. They must want some comfort. Bad mom forgot their bed
smile.png

Anyway, I scooted in, trying to move chicks out of the way. They were trying to get close to me and I didnt want to squish one with the container. I finally got them all moved and proceeded to set thier bed up, I set it on its side so they can go in easier.

They sure were making a racket. then I proceed to start putting them in. I grabbed the first two and set them in. The biggest one ran in the box by herself. Then more followed her. I finally grabbed the last two and put them in. Finally when they were all in, they proceeded to settle down and were peeping quietly to themselves.

So glad that I figured out what they needed, poor things.

Aww lucky babies! They sure knew how to get your attention!

Mine are only 2 weeks..I set up the next pen in the barn. Thought I'd put a low roost seeing as how they climb and sit on any toys I give them...??

Quote:
Thats a good idea. Im sure they will love it.

Im going to be making mine a roost soon. Just hadnt gotten around to it since they have been inside until now.

Back
Top Bottom