Whew! (Not Egg Bound)

TMecklenborg

In the Brooder
9 Years
Feb 9, 2010
San Francisco Bay Area
At 12:15, I was out in the yard and heard Teckla (Black Australorp, just over 1 year old) in the nest box, making distressed noises and straining. I decided I'd give her 10 minutes, and went in to review egg binding symptoms and treatments. She lays quite large, so I was concerned.

After 10 minutes, she hadn't laid the egg, but she was quiet and no longer straining, so I decided I'd give her 10 more minutes and then go in with the oil to see if I could feel what was going on.

About 5 minutes later, she finished up in the nest box with a perfectly normal egg and sang the longest, loudest egg song I've ever heard from her. So proud of herself!

(Now Norska's in the nest box, but I don't know what she thinks she's doing -- she laid earlier this morning.)

Sometimes my girls "bawk bawk" and carry on before they get in the nest box, but once they get in they're usually totally silent until they've laid their "prize" -- then they sing and carry on like you wouldn't believe! The other girls will get caught up in the action and sing along, and sometimes even the little bantam roos join in the chorus! I love it!
big_smile.png

ETA: Glad your girl is ok! BTW, in case I haven't done so already, WELCOME to BYC from western Kentucky! It's nice to meet you.
smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom