Which 15 week old chick was sing egg song???

Duckee

Crowing
6 Years
Jun 11, 2014
Southern Illinois
So last evening I let my chicks out to free range before bedtime. 2 of the chicks, 1 australorp and 1 easter egger, stayed back in the run. Of those 2, one started singing the egg song! I tried to figure out which one it was from a distance to not disturb, but couldnt really tell. As I came up closer, the EE bolted past me out of the run, and the lorp stayed perched on a tree branch post looking kinda dazed. No egg in sight. The EE looks more at point of lay though...confusing

Is 15 weeks too young for egg song?
Which would most likely be the egg song singer?
How long after singing do they normally start to lay?
Thanks for helping

Can you post pictures of them? :)
I can in the morning. Here is one of the australorp at 13 weeks. Not much difference now. Minimal comb, wattles, or color. The EE isnt much in comb growth either, just a little pinker color.
20200807_030929.jpg

I agree. I just read a good post on here where this person did an instense study with her flocks to find out what the egg song was all about. Turns out it is nothing to do with the egg, and all to do with security!
Thanks for responding all... i thought no way these pullets are ready to lay!

oops! posted too soon.
So i think the lorp was napping on the branch and woke to her flock gone. So she was startled and called for security! Her pal the EE came to her rescue!
Those girls love to keep me guessing! Haha

Back
Top Bottom