Which antibiotic for bumblefoot?

bhawk-23

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
Apr 12, 2020
East Central Illinois
Hello, I hope everyone had a great holiday!

I have a Serama who is non weight-bearing. She has been for at least 3 days now but I know it has to be longer with her weight loss.

She will be 2 yrs old this spring.
She is eating great.
Foot is good color, same as the other.
I have soaked her foot in epsom salt everyday.

I cannot find a kernel (?) or any indication something is in her foot. There was a blister like bubble on top of her foot so I poked it slightly and saw a mostly clear with maybe some extremely slight yellowish tint, even after using pressure to get more out. I’d say it was close to a blister liquid I’ve popped on myself. I hope I did not make it worse.

We want to start antibiotics. From what we have read it should be baytril added into her water. Is this correct? And at what dose? She is 1lb, or close to.

Also, I will be ordering it from Jedd’s. What other antibiotics should I order to have on hand? My flock has MD and MG so Tylosin for sure. I would like to have a broad spectrum antibiotic on hand and anything else since I am ordering and paying shipping.

I have her bonded sister in with her. She was attempting to peck at food but only getting air. She had not lost any weight so we caught it quick. I do believe this has been resolved after given nutri-drench and hand fed but what on earth would cause this? We are wondering if it could be mareks or MG messing with her equilibrium but really have no idea. Thoughts are always welcomed!

Thank you.

What do you want to use the antibiotics for? What does your flock eat? She could have a vitamin deficiency from standing on one foot and not getting enough.
I thought to treat for bumblefoot to be on the safe side. Is this not advised?
I am adding nutri-drench to their mash daily. Is there something else I can add for a more complete supplement?

Do you have good clear photos of the foot?

Most of the time an antibiotic is not needed to treat Bumblefoot.

As for the MG, you have Tylan/Tylosin, if this helps relieve symptoms, then I'd stick with that. Some do use Denagard (Tiamulin) for 3 days each month as a maintenance for MG+ flocks, this may keep birds asymptomatic. But of course, this is just masking symptoms (as you know).

You have another issue with a hen that is trying to eat but just pecking at air?
This could be neurological related to the Marek's in your flock.
I would focus on vitamin therapy. Give 400IU Vitamin E and 1/4 tablet B-Complex daily along with a little egg. Keep her on her normal feed.

Baytril is probably going to be your "broadest spectrum" antibiotic. Do be aware that it is not approved for use in poultry - do your reading up on that. However, sometimes a vet may prescribe it for certain illnesses and infection. It's a VERY strong antibiotic and shouldn't be given continuously. Moderation is key here.

That said, Allbirdsproducts - take a look at what they have. I use them to order certain supplies. Jedds is good too depending on what I'm looking for.

https://allbirdproducts.com/

I thought to treat for bumblefoot to be on the safe side. Is this not advised?
I am adding nutri-drench to their mash daily. Is there something else I can add for a more complete supplement?
Never use antibiotics unless an infection is confirmed, it creates antibiotic resistance. Nutridrench shouldn't be used long term, how long have you been using it? The opposite of vitamin deficiency is vitamin toxicity, too much of a good thing can cause side effects.
could just be a neurological issues, from genetics, diet, injury, disease etc...

It doesn't really sound like bumblefoot if there is no sign of a scab or infection... Have you tried just using PRID drawing salve or something similar on the cyst (or whatever it is)? Pictures are helpful.

Never use antibiotics unless an infection is confirmed, it creates antibiotic resistance. Nutridrench shouldn't be used long term, how long have you been using it? The opposite of vitamin deficiency is vitamin toxicity, too much of a good thing can cause side effects.
could just be a neurological issues, from genetics, diet, injury, disease etc...
Nutri-drench for 2 days in a row.

I would normally agree about not using antibiotics but I am using them monthly at this point to treat MG and MD symptoms so….. 🤷🏼‍♀️ lol
Do you have good clear photos of the foot?

Most of the time an antibiotic is not needed to treat Bumblefoot.

As for the MG, you have Tylan/Tylosin, if this helps relieve symptoms, then I'd stick with that. Some do use Denagard (Tiamulin) for 3 days each month as a maintenance for MG+ flocks, this may keep birds asymptomatic. But of course, this is just masking symptoms (as you know).

You have another issue with a hen that is trying to eat but just pecking at air?
This could be neurological related to the Marek's in your flock.
I would focus on vitamin therapy. Give 400IU Vitamin E and 1/4 tablet B-Complex daily along with a little egg. Keep her on her normal feed.

Baytril is probably going to be your "broadest spectrum" antibiotic. Do be aware that it is not approved for use in poultry - do your reading up on that. However, sometimes a vet may prescribe it for certain illnesses and infection. It's a VERY strong antibiotic and shouldn't be given continuously. Moderation is key here.

That said, Allbirdsproducts - take a look at what they have. I use them to order certain supplies. Jedds is good too depending on what I'm looking for.

https://allbirdproducts.com/
I’ll use the vitamin E and vitamin B, I have both on hand. And yes, I am hoping not but neurological from mareks is definitely on my mind.
Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom