Which antibiotic for bumblefoot?

bhawk-23

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
Apr 12, 2020
East Central Illinois
Hello, I hope everyone had a great holiday!

I have a Serama who is non weight-bearing. She has been for at least 3 days now but I know it has to be longer with her weight loss.

She will be 2 yrs old this spring.
She is eating great.
Foot is good color, same as the other.
I have soaked her foot in epsom salt everyday.

I cannot find a kernel (?) or any indication something is in her foot. There was a blister like bubble on top of her foot so I poked it slightly and saw a mostly clear with maybe some extremely slight yellowish tint, even after using pressure to get more out. I’d say it was close to a blister liquid I’ve popped on myself. I hope I did not make it worse.

We want to start antibiotics. From what we have read it should be baytril added into her water. Is this correct? And at what dose? She is 1lb, or close to.

Also, I will be ordering it from Jedd’s. What other antibiotics should I order to have on hand? My flock has MD and MG so Tylosin for sure. I would like to have a broad spectrum antibiotic on hand and anything else since I am ordering and paying shipping.

I have her bonded sister in with her. She was attempting to peck at food but only getting air. She had not lost any weight so we caught it quick. I do believe this has been resolved after given nutri-drench and hand fed but what on earth would cause this? We are wondering if it could be mareks or MG messing with her equilibrium but really have no idea. Thoughts are always welcomed!

Thank you.

Nutri-drench for 2 days in a row.

I would normally agree about not using antibiotics but I am using them monthly at this point to treat MG and MD symptoms so….. 🤷🏼‍♀️ lol
If you are having to treat your MG positive flock monthly with Tylan, then you may want to switch to Tiamulin (Denagard) for 3 days each month instead.
There are numerous threads here on BYC about using it as a maintenance for MG positive flocks.

Antibiotics are not going to help MD symptoms. MD is a viral, so unless there's secondary bacterial infection, then antibiotics are not going to make much difference.

Of course, keeping your flock closed - no more new birds coming in or hatching birds (MG is transmitted through to the embryo) and letting them live out their lives and die off is also a good option. Once they are all gone, then clean with Virkon S, let the property and housing sit for 3 months then repopulate from a reputable hatchery is a good practice as well.
I think all that has been discussed before too - so maybe not to even re-hash it.

Poultry Nutri-Drench is good stuff for quick uptake in little chicks or as a quick boost to an ailing hen, but imho (and look at the label!) it does not contain enough E to be used for treatment of a neurological symptom like you describe. Give the Vitamin E and B-Complex directly with some egg and her normal feed. See if she improves over the course of a week.

Do you have good clear photos of the foot?

Most of the time an antibiotic is not needed to treat Bumblefoot.

As for the MG, you have Tylan/Tylosin, if this helps relieve symptoms, then I'd stick with that. Some do use Denagard (Tiamulin) for 3 days each month as a maintenance for MG+ flocks, this may keep birds asymptomatic. But of course, this is just masking symptoms (as you know).

You have another issue with a hen that is trying to eat but just pecking at air?
This could be neurological related to the Marek's in your flock.
I would focus on vitamin therapy. Give 400IU Vitamin E and 1/4 tablet B-Complex daily along with a little egg. Keep her on her normal feed.

Baytril is probably going to be your "broadest spectrum" antibiotic. Do be aware that it is not approved for use in poultry - do your reading up on that. However, sometimes a vet may prescribe it for certain illnesses and infection. It's a VERY strong antibiotic and shouldn't be given continuously. Moderation is key here.

That said, Allbirdsproducts - take a look at what they have. I use them to order certain supplies. Jedds is good too depending on what I'm looking for.

https://allbirdproducts.com/

It really looks more like Frostbite to me and I'd treat it as such.

You are already treating the MG, if an antibiotic will be of any help then once you get the Baytril you can try that. MS could be at play along with the MG, but the swelling looks much more like Frostbite. It's not uncommon for there to be blistering when feet have suffered damage.

Green poop can be from a number of things. I agree, I would be a bit concerned since you have Marek's, but that's yet to been seen whether it's the cause of the poop or if it straightens out. Provide her with her normal feed and drinking well. Give the vitamins and see how it goes. You're right, hold on, hang in there, hope and take it as it come:hugs

@Wyorp Rock @Eggcessive @coach723 @Razzlefrazzle

My baytril will arrive today. What is the dosing?

I also have doxycycline coming today. Not sure which would be best since we are not sure what is actually ailing her.

She is in really bad condition overall. I will dose her right when it arrives and give another 24 hrs. I’m not feeling hopeful at the moment.
10% Liquid Baytril is 0.045 ml per pound twice a day for 3-5 days but stop at day 3 if you don't see any improvement.

Baytril will be your strongest antibiotic which should treat most bacterial infections (including MG), so I'd go for that if it were me.

The one that is in bad condition is she the one with the foot issue or the one that was pecking at air?

If it's the one that's pecking at air, then she may be dehydrated if she's not been drinking and/or eating well. Consider syringing or tubing fluids into her. Once hydrated, then get wet feed into her. Warmed electrolytes would probably be good. For tubing nutrition into her, a lot of folks use Kaytee Exact baby bird formula, but if you can grind up some pellets fine, then soak them for a while, then water down, you might get them thin enough to tube.

I am sad to report both sister passed yesterday.
Sassy, who was pecking at air, was eating on her own the last 12 hours, had a seizure and passed in my hands. This is how we lost another girl in September. I am thinking both were the mareks.
Sara, who had the hurt foot, started declining fast. I did get one dose of the baytril in her but made the decision she was suffering and waiting 24 hrs was borderline cruelty. Hubs and DS agreed so we kindly euthanized her.
These two were so much fun! We loved watching them run around the yard, chests out and tails straight up. They were sweet, funny and DS’s favorite. We will miss their presence tremendously 💔
F1AFF8BB-C8AD-49E2-88A3-20E8F454490E.jpeg
76608978-4ABF-4E9C-9492-D7AF27EC8870.jpeg

I thought to treat for bumblefoot to be on the safe side. Is this not advised?
I am adding nutri-drench to their mash daily. Is there something else I can add for a more complete supplement?
Never use antibiotics unless an infection is confirmed, it creates antibiotic resistance. Nutridrench shouldn't be used long term, how long have you been using it? The opposite of vitamin deficiency is vitamin toxicity, too much of a good thing can cause side effects.
could just be a neurological issues, from genetics, diet, injury, disease etc...

From what I can see it looks most like mild frostbite to me, the fluid filled blister sounds like frostbite. If there is infection then the enrofloxacin will hopefully help. I don't see any discoloration of the toes, yet at least, so if it's frostbite hopefully it's mild. Time will tell on that. I would not let her out in freezing temps right now, until you have a better idea what's going on with that foot, you don't want to do more damage if it is from the cold. I don't see any sign of bumblefoot.

Back
Top Bottom