Which antibiotic for bumblefoot?

Is there a way to get a fecal float to see if worms and/or Coccidiosis are an issue?
Possibly. The university, who used to do my fecal floats, has changed their policy which made a $16 test turn into a chicken visit and test for $160. My vet might do it as a favor again.

I had a hen that I swore was dying a month after diagnosis of mareks. Out of shear frustration of nothing working I did a direct dose corid treatment and put her back outside. It took a few months of just hanging on but she is thriving and back to being a bully just like before. I had considered trying it on these girls. I figured it couldn’t hurt but I really don’t know. Most everything I do now is out of frustration and hope. With MD and MG, the struggle is real. Lol

@Wyorp Rock @Eggcessive @coach723 @Razzlefrazzle

My baytril will arrive today. What is the dosing?

I also have doxycycline coming today. Not sure which would be best since we are not sure what is actually ailing her.

She is in really bad condition overall. I will dose her right when it arrives and give another 24 hrs. I’m not feeling hopeful at the moment.

Last edited:
Not sure what this is, but I have found "ichtammol" drawing salve (the vet one) to be very helpful with cysts/boils/bumps/etc. It won't mess with the antibiotics, so you can apply it while giving them to her.

@Wyorp Rock @Eggcessive @coach723 @Razzlefrazzle

My baytril will arrive today. What is the dosing?

I also have doxycycline coming today. Not sure which would be best since we are not sure what is actually ailing her.

She is in really bad condition overall. I will dose her right when it arrives and give another 24 hrs. I’m not feeling hopeful at the moment.
10% Liquid Baytril is 0.045 ml per pound twice a day for 3-5 days but stop at day 3 if you don't see any improvement.

Baytril will be your strongest antibiotic which should treat most bacterial infections (including MG), so I'd go for that if it were me.

The one that is in bad condition is she the one with the foot issue or the one that was pecking at air?

If it's the one that's pecking at air, then she may be dehydrated if she's not been drinking and/or eating well. Consider syringing or tubing fluids into her. Once hydrated, then get wet feed into her. Warmed electrolytes would probably be good. For tubing nutrition into her, a lot of folks use Kaytee Exact baby bird formula, but if you can grind up some pellets fine, then soak them for a while, then water down, you might get them thin enough to tube.

I am sad to report both sister passed yesterday.
Sassy, who was pecking at air, was eating on her own the last 12 hours, had a seizure and passed in my hands. This is how we lost another girl in September. I am thinking both were the mareks.
Sara, who had the hurt foot, started declining fast. I did get one dose of the baytril in her but made the decision she was suffering and waiting 24 hrs was borderline cruelty. Hubs and DS agreed so we kindly euthanized her.
These two were so much fun! We loved watching them run around the yard, chests out and tails straight up. They were sweet, funny and DS’s favorite. We will miss their presence tremendously 💔
F1AFF8BB-C8AD-49E2-88A3-20E8F454490E.jpeg
76608978-4ABF-4E9C-9492-D7AF27EC8870.jpeg

I am sad to report both sister passed yesterday.
Sassy, who was pecking at air, was eating on her own the last 12 hours, had a seizure and passed in my hands. This is how we lost another girl in September. I am thinking both were the mareks.
Sara, who had the hurt foot, started declining fast. I did get one dose of the baytril in her but made the decision she was suffering and waiting 24 hrs was borderline cruelty. Hubs and DS agreed so we kindly euthanized her.
These two were so much fun! We loved watching them run around the yard, chests out and tails straight up. They were sweet, funny and DS’s favorite. We will miss their presence tremendously 💔View attachment 3362836View attachment 3362839
:hugs I'm so sorry to hear about Sassy and Sara, very sad indeed.

I know you've had to deal with so much and it must be overwhelming and heartbreaking.

Thank you for the photos, such dainty little hens.
The photo of your DS is just precious❤️

:hugs I'm so sorry to hear about Sassy and Sara, very sad indeed.

I know you've had to deal with so much and it must be overwhelming and heartbreaking.

Thank you for the photos, such dainty little hens.
The photo of your DS is just precious❤️
Thank you. It has been extremely difficult managing both MG and MD. I am constantly worrying, watching, treating and/or crying. DS has lost each of his favorites and I am worried 8 in 8 months is starting to get to him. I’m hoping the 5 MD vaccinated chicks will do ok because we are quite attached to one already.i I wish I knew they have a MG vax because I would have gotten that one too!
Thank you so much for all the help you give. I want to at least try even though I know my odds are not good.

I am now stocked with two baytril, amox, doxy, Tylosin, denagard, corrid, safeguard, calcium and and…….so hopefully I am better prepared for our next crisis.

Back
Top Bottom