Which antibiotic for bumblefoot?

Nutri-drench for 2 days in a row.

I would normally agree about not using antibiotics but I am using them monthly at this point to treat MG and MD symptoms so….. 🤷🏼‍♀️ lol
If you are having to treat your MG positive flock monthly with Tylan, then you may want to switch to Tiamulin (Denagard) for 3 days each month instead.
There are numerous threads here on BYC about using it as a maintenance for MG positive flocks.

Antibiotics are not going to help MD symptoms. MD is a viral, so unless there's secondary bacterial infection, then antibiotics are not going to make much difference.

Of course, keeping your flock closed - no more new birds coming in or hatching birds (MG is transmitted through to the embryo) and letting them live out their lives and die off is also a good option. Once they are all gone, then clean with Virkon S, let the property and housing sit for 3 months then repopulate from a reputable hatchery is a good practice as well.
I think all that has been discussed before too - so maybe not to even re-hash it.

Poultry Nutri-Drench is good stuff for quick uptake in little chicks or as a quick boost to an ailing hen, but imho (and look at the label!) it does not contain enough E to be used for treatment of a neurological symptom like you describe. Give the Vitamin E and B-Complex directly with some egg and her normal feed. See if she improves over the course of a week.

@Wyorp Rock
4AEC3EC0-6F45-4B68-835C-0C909AB26C67.jpeg
7B44B524-8703-4050-9178-ABC3F1DC3321.jpeg
D38FEEBF-ACF4-49CD-A10F-5A6CA2D7E1C5.jpeg

Let's look at that back toe. Is there a cut there or perhaps a string or hair had gotten wrapped around the toe? Could be the angle of the photo too.

You mentioned earlier that you popped a blister on the top of her foot? Where was that - I think I see where the skin was disturbed.

Was she outside in cold weather by any chance? Any chance her foot was exposed to cold temps or she walked in a water bowl during freezing temps?

Could be MG related, but infection like this needs to be addressed.
I would soak in tepid water with a little epsom salts. Place her on clean dry bedding - puppy pads would be best.
If possible, I think I'd leave unwrapped with a tiny bit of ointment on the top of the foot since I have a feeling the foot is going to swell more. If another blister arises, don't pop it.
IF you need to wrap, then wrap fairly loosely. A very thin layer of triple antibiotic ointment on the foot.

For an antibiotic, I'd use Baytril.

I'm going to tag in @coach723 and @Eggcessive
1672202402214.jpeg

From what I can see it looks most like mild frostbite to me, the fluid filled blister sounds like frostbite. If there is infection then the enrofloxacin will hopefully help. I don't see any discoloration of the toes, yet at least, so if it's frostbite hopefully it's mild. Time will tell on that. I would not let her out in freezing temps right now, until you have a better idea what's going on with that foot, you don't want to do more damage if it is from the cold. I don't see any sign of bumblefoot.

Do you think frostbite is possible in the foot? Could there be an injury such as sprain or fracture? You have great advice from Wyorp Rock and others above. I have never needed antibiotics for bumblefoot before. I have usually done the surgery, but that is because I didn’t have time to soak daily.

Let's look at that back toe. Is there a cut there or perhaps a string or hair had gotten wrapped around the toe? Could be the angle of the photo too.
I’ll attach more pics. They’re not great so let me know if you need different angles.
You mentioned earlier that you popped a blister on the top of her foot? Where was that - I think I see where the skin was disturbed.
The blister like bubble is back on the top of her foot between the toes and shaft.
Was she outside in cold weather by any chance? Any chance her foot was exposed to cold temps or she walked in a water bowl during freezing temps?
She had access to outside in a snow free, covered and wind blocked area. The completely enclosed run also has wind blocks for the “storm” that was expected. And their upper coop has an option for roosting on a 2X4 heated roost near a heat panel though I never saw her on that. She was staying inside that coop once her foot was hurting. It stays a few degrees warmer than outside. We have one water bowl that we bring out in the morning but if she fell in it would have been tipped. It never was that I’m aware of. I will not rule out stepping in water though.
Could be MG related, but infection like this needs to be addressed.
I would soak in tepid water with a little epsom salts. Place her on clean dry bedding - puppy pads would be best.
I will continue to soak in epsom salt water. I’ve been putting the two girls in a cat litter box with pet type straw to nest in. I’ll switch that out when I can get puppy pads later today.

Please elaborate on the possibility of it being MG related. I cannot find anything on the internet. Today was the first time I’ve seen her open mouth breathe with faint rails. They had Tylosin Tx 2 weeks ago. Denagard 4 weeks before that.
If possible, I think I'd leave unwrapped with a tiny bit of ointment on the top of the foot since I have a feeling the foot is going to swell more. If another blister arises, don't pop it.
IF you need to wrap, then wrap fairly loosely. A very thin layer of triple antibiotic ointment on the foot.
I have triple antibiotic and aquaphor, preference?
For an antibiotic, I'd use Baytril.
I ordered from a place in stock but it will not be here before Friday or Saturday.
6BE54D36-76F0-4398-BCE3-701673ECE363.jpeg

Also, I’ve started Sassy on vitamin E and B but she is back to not eating. I will continue to work on getting it in her throughout the day. She appears to be protective of Sara (hurt foot). They have been together since birth. She is standing tall and puts herself between Sara and me. Not aggressive, but more blocking her off. Am I imagining this or do some bonded pairs protect the other when they sense they are sick or dying? Pecking order is cruel and these two girls were NEVER afraid of defending their place. Lol
From what I can see it looks most like mild frostbite to me, the fluid filled blister sounds like frostbite. If there is infection then the enrofloxacin will hopefully help. I don't see any discoloration of the toes, yet at least, so if it's frostbite hopefully it's mild. Time will tell on that. I would not let her out in freezing temps right now, until you have a better idea what's going on with that foot, you don't want to do more damage if it is from the cold. I don't see any sign of bumblefoot.
Thank you. She will definitely stay inside with her sister until we figure out what is wrong with both of them.
Do you think frostbite is possible in the foot? Could there be an injury such as sprain or fracture? You have great advice from Wyorp Rock and others above. I have never needed antibiotics for bumblefoot before. I have usually done the surgery, but that is because I didn’t have time to soak daily.
Good question, possible frostbite but how would I check for a sprain or fracture?

I am extremely worried about some bright green poop she had last night after soaking her foot. I’d say not eating because of her extreme weight loss but she has been eating like crazy for 3 days now. I fear it may be the Mareks but I will hold onto hope and take it day by day.
0B4BEF21-6491-460F-AB18-FD9E2FFD26D1.jpeg
C8871295-FBB8-46ED-9BDA-7636A6DDE495.jpeg
F3D52ADD-9E83-46FA-BCB3-3BB2F6129779.jpeg
1E95D985-7D56-4A76-AB9E-E56CF154346B.jpeg
F871694D-7E58-4C3C-AC97-FFE449B895C6.jpeg
B013741A-497B-478B-A3F7-FDB5163D1E67.jpeg
6BE54D36-76F0-4398-BCE3-701673ECE363.jpeg

Last edited:
It really looks more like Frostbite to me and I'd treat it as such.

You are already treating the MG, if an antibiotic will be of any help then once you get the Baytril you can try that. MS could be at play along with the MG, but the swelling looks much more like Frostbite. It's not uncommon for there to be blistering when feet have suffered damage.

Green poop can be from a number of things. I agree, I would be a bit concerned since you have Marek's, but that's yet to been seen whether it's the cause of the poop or if it straightens out. Provide her with her normal feed and drinking well. Give the vitamins and see how it goes. You're right, hold on, hang in there, hope and take it as it come:hugs

@Wyorp Rock

Here is a picture of green poop with what looks to have egg white consistency with it. This is Sassy, the one who is having trouble eating. Thoughts on this?

Forgive the dark pictures, I couldn’t figure out how to get the flash to work on my new phone 🤦🏼‍♀️😂

Attachments

• E3AE1ED2-40BD-4B3F-B5C6-619EAD41E2E9.jpeg
    E3AE1ED2-40BD-4B3F-B5C6-619EAD41E2E9.jpeg
    258.8 KB · Views: 5
  • 5808F00D-DEDD-4D8E-9C2D-277F07C74EC8.jpeg
    5808F00D-DEDD-4D8E-9C2D-277F07C74EC8.jpeg
    502.9 KB · Views: 5
@Wyorp Rock

Here is a picture of green poop with what looks to have egg white consistency with it. This is Sassy, the one who is having trouble eating. Thoughts on this?

Forgive the dark pictures, I couldn’t figure out how to get the flash to work on my new phone 🤦🏼‍♀️😂
Is there a way to get a fecal float to see if worms and/or Coccidiosis are an issue?

Back
Top Bottom