Which are better all around? Buff Orphington's vs. Rhode Osland Reds

This is one of those cases, two breeds, in which I will not even bother to say anything on the hatchery type (about 70 percent or more of the population in the US) besides that they 1) are not a good "all around" bird, being only production bred, and 2) are NOT like the original heritage.

So if you're going for the true heritage type, I would say Rhode Island Red over Orpington. . .

But otherwise, hatchery terms. . . They're the same, except Reds have been over-bred to egg production far more than Orpingtons, BUT, they've also been bred to the extent, that as said previously, they're known for aggressive strains.

I will tell you that my producion Reds are very sweet and also too much under my feet begging. However, I would not buy them anymore because there was one of a friends that was bound with an egg. We fixed it once but then months later we could not. One example does not make this true but they lay too many eggs for their good.

Quote:
thumbsup.gif

If you want eggs. Go with the reds.

I don't know what it is about Phoenix and RIR, but all of them have died on me.

how many have real heritage type RIR?
How many have production RIR from hatcheries?
these birds are different true rir don't lay as many eggs and go broody

My RIR's are not aggressive at all but none of my birds came from a hatchery either, they came from a local guy that is a small operation breeder. I just want RIR's because of the not going broody. I will probably keep a few buffs so I can hatch some RIR's chicks without buying a bator.

Back
Top Bottom