which bargain to get Cackle's or Meyer's

jdywntr

Songster
10 Years
Oct 31, 2009
Somerville, AL
My DH didn't actually say no when I mentioned getting some more chicks to raise for meat. My explanation involved the drought, the fact that feed, and meat prices will increase. I don't want to do Cornish cross again. His only questions were "are you asking my permission?" and "so do you want to get a freezer?"

So, I now have a dilemma.
Should I get (I included shipping in $):
Cackle Hatchery's "Hatchery Surprise" which is ~$61 and can contain anything. (The surprise would be exciting)
Cackle's "Special Heavy Assorted " ~$53 for 50 heavy breeds, will have some pullets (which is fine)
Meyer's "Fry Pan Bargain" $40 for 50 all large breed roos or $53 for 100

We have the space. I have an area that I can set up a brooder and there is space for them to grow but they would be free range in the pasture with the horses and donkeys. If I were to get 100 I would try to sell some (it's just such a deal).

My concerns:
If I got all roos, how long will I have to process them? I don't want to process 50 or 100 at a time (I process by myself) but 10-15 at a time would work.
I know dual purpose develop slower but what is the youngest I could process and have a reasonable carcass?
I do have some other chickens that I am going to use for eggs/meat once they start laying (the hens are 4.5 months now). If I have all of these extra roos, what are the chances that they will harrass my current BO roo or the hens?

The hatchery special roos will not have enough meat on them until they are at least 15-18 weeks, and they will be sexually mature by then. Hopefully you have something for them to eat in addition to commercial feed (to manage your expenses). Their growout time is a LOT longer than with CornishX.

You won't need to harvest them all at once. However, you will need to plan for LOTS of maturing males!

There are some strategies to deal with "teenage boys."

1) If you have space away from hens, fence 'em in their very own happy bachelor pad! Yes, you WILL need to keep them separate from the rest of your flock, or they will get really out of hand as they mature...unless you endeavour to do no. 3) below.

2) After butchering, let them rest in buttermilk in the fridge for at least 1 day before freezing. Maybe add a little orange or lemon juice also. This makes the meat of a roo more tender and less chewy.

3) If you can find someone to show you, learn how to caponize 'em at 8-10 weeks. (There's some prep before and some recuperation after). Once they are capons, you can let 'em run with the general flock and only take one when you want dinner the next day. Capons make very good Christmas dinners!

Back
Top Bottom