1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Which Bird Dropped These?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Amber83, Sep 7, 2016.

1. Amber83

Amber83 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2016
    Texas
    One of my younger girls has started laying and I have no clue as to who it could be. We have 2 EE and a Barred Rock that are likely to be laying any day now, but the (almost) 16 week Brahma is the one that is always in the coop that these eggs were found in. The coop isn't used, but we do put a separate feeder inside to let the smaller birds eat without the bigger birds harassing them. There are Brahma feathers inside the nest, but she climbs on everything (and everyone) that she can find. Her feathers are everywhere. Thoughts on which bird these could belong to?

We also have a female khaki but I assume she'll be laying in the garden instead of a 4' high nest...

[​IMG]

2. Alexandra33

Alexandra33 Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm guessing either the BR or Brahma, but there is a method where you feel around in the hen's "fluff" for her pelvic (I think that's the correct part? [​IMG]) bones and see how many fingers you can fit in between them. Usually if only one can squeeze in there, she's not laying, but if it's two or more, she's definitely been giving you eggs. [​IMG]

~Alex

1 person likes this.
  3. Amber83

Amber83 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2016
    Texas
    Really? I was not aware of that. Thank you for the tip! The BR has been acting a little differently towards our rooster (who is still very young). She's no longer chasing and pecking at him, but following him around instead. I assume that should be a sign that she has reached maturity?

4. carlf

carlf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2016
    Mobile, AL
    Is she squatting for him?

I don't see any EE eggs in that mix.

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    EE can lay pink....so can brahma.

That's a lot of eggs, how long had they been there?

Signs of onset of lay---I've found the pelvic points to be the most accurate.
    Squatting:
    If you touch their back they will hunker down on the ground, then shake their tail feathers when they get back up.
    This shows they are sexually mature and egg laying is close at hand.

Combs and Wattles:
    Plump, shiny red - usually means laying.
    Shriveled, dryish looking and pale - usually means not laying.
    Tho I have found that the combs and wattles can look full and red one minute then pale back out the next due to exertion or excitement, can drive ya nuts when waiting for a pullet to lay!

Vent:
    Dry, tight, and smaller - usually not laying.
    Moist, wide, and larger - usually laying

Pelvic Points 2 bony points(pelvic bones) on either side of vent:
    Less than 2 fingertip widths apart usually means not laying.
    More than 2 fingertip widths apart usually means laying.

6. Weehopper

Weehopper Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2015
    My EE lays pinkish eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by