Which birds should we take to the fair 4H & open class show?PIC HEAVY

Thanks and Good luck to you too. Post some pics of your birds if you wouldn't mind.

Don't forget to let us know how you did at the fair as well.

I did mean to give a diet that is mostly seed for a couple of days before and during the fair. I do usually mix in some crumbles, oatmeal, cooked rice, yogurt and maybe some veggies or scrambled egg as well.

Quote:
Unfortunately no. Our group is mostly cattle people, non livestock and one chicken person but they show meaties and don't know much about the fancies.

Quote:
After re-reading your post I thought that is what you meant. Thank you for all of your guidance through all of this. You have been SO helpful. I think we are ready for this week. Now it's just up to the birds to do their part.
big_smile.png

Here are the pics of the chickens I took to the fair. I only have the 3 so I didn't have to choose which ones to take
wink.png

They were judged last night so I can't wait to get off work and see how we did.

This is Jukie, she is my little lap chicken. Follows me everywhere and comes when called.
25270_jukie_097.jpg
25270_jukie_047.jpg

This is Roz, She likes to fly up and land on my shoulder.
25270_roz022.jpg
25270_roz_105.jpg

And last but not least, Kitty. The sweetest Roo I know. He was the ugliest chick but I think he feathered out very nicely.
25270_kitty_071.jpg
25270_kitty_115.jpg

I just got home. My trio got Grand Champion, Best of Breed!!!!!

OK, granted it's a small fair but I am still sooooo proud.

wee.gif
ya.gif

Pullet Pimp, how'd you do?

Crossing my fingers for you AK Michelle.

Well, my daughter was quite pleased with how things turned out. This was quite a learning experience for both of us about the little tricks of the trade so to speak. Pretty cut throat group of exhibitors, these show folk are. Folks were not too forthcoming with tips/information of how to show better so we did some things wrong but learned from it for next time. For instance when we registered for the show I was told that the pair pullets had to be different birds from the pullets used in the trio. Well as it turned out almost everyone (but us) used the same birds and nothing was said. She didn't place in the trio event. But she did place 6th in cockerel bantam and 6th in pullet pair. The judge came from Cleveland (about 3 hrs away) and he said he was impressed at the amount of birds our fair had. He said he usually sees fairs as a meat bird show with a few others thrown in, but ours only had maybe 20 entries of the meat class and the barn was FILLED with a good variety of really good birds. He gave my daughter compliments for the condition of the birds and singled out the wing condition telling her that the wing feathers were in perfect condition.

She also received 1st in Showmanship, so I guess she was listening all along when we were in the coop discussing/handling the birds these past few months.

In open class she did much better. She received Best Variety and Best in Breed for Pullet D and she got Reserve Variety for one of her Cockerels. Between 4H and Open class she brought home 12 ribbons and some premium money in her pocket. I think she's hooked now.

Not sure if we will ever show again, other than at the fair though. I wasn't pleased at the snotty attitude of others that wouldn't share or TEACH us what to do, but rather looked at us as the competition and left us out there to hang. I tried to talk to others about their birds and they wouldn't give us the time of day because they didn't know us.

More importantly I think the pleasant memories she took from the experience are what its all about, win lose or draw. But I'm glad she won
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom