Which birds should we take to the fair 4H & open class show?PIC HEAVY

Pullet Pimp

Songster
11 Years
Jul 1, 2008
Ohio
We are about a week and a half away from show time and I wanted some feedback from you experienced show folk. My daughter chose to show chickens for her 4H project and we hatched some Mille Fleur d'Uccle eggs we got from wwmicasa1 and they are 18 weeks now.

I have never shown a chicken, but we have done tons of reading and talked to a couple locals who show. The folks we talked to didn't know much about the breed we have. I do have a standard of perfection but I would like the opinions of those here who show and judge. We are entering a trio, pair pullets, and cockerel for the 4H judging. I also entered her for open class in which we can take two cockerels and two pullets.

I understand the prep of bathing, clipping the toenails, and such but I have read some that trim and file the beaks. Should I do this also or do they look fine?

I will show you two photos of each of the nine birds we have. If you are willing select 4 pullets and 2 cockerels that we should take for the 4H judging then tell me which two of each I should select for the open class judging. We are in this for the experience and we don't expect a win but I don't want to hinder her chances by leaving a nicer bird home, if ya know what I mean.

Cockerel A

100_0748.jpg

100_0747.jpg

Cockerel B

100_0771.jpg

100_0754.jpg

Cockerel C

100_0775.jpg

100_0773.jpg

Cockerel D

100_0778.jpg

100_0770.jpg

Pullet A

100_0765.jpg

100_0767.jpg

Pullet B

100_0769.jpg

100_0749.jpg

Pullet C

100_0758.jpg

100_0759.jpg

Pullet D

100_0757.jpg

100_0760.jpg

Pullet E

100_0746.jpg

100_0762.jpg

Last edited:
OK, I hate being the first to say, but: I have shown these a couple of times and they seem to like the darker red over the paler red. The small over the larger (if similar) and the more feathers on the feet seem to be good. I also like the pullets that have the most muff/cheek feathers. Roos with symetry of comb with 5 or 6 even points.

I'd take: Cockeral B and I guess maybe A. I don't like the one with less feathers and smaller comb, Bird C.

Pullets: I leave pullet C home, and I like pullet B the best.

Okay, after all this studying, I am surely not first. It is hard to judge them in pics. It'd be best to be able to see their tails up, heads up, the length of their back, so angles play a role. Maybe you can find someone in person to help you decide too?

Good luck, I love 4-H.

HenZ (4-H horse club leader)

ETA: Feed them some black oil sunflower seeds over the next couple weeks for added gloss to the feathers. I think rice bran pellets might be good too, just not too many of either. Just a little supplement in their feed. Oh, and show sheen works great on feathers to bring back the shine. Be sure you do WASH them, scrubbing their legs and feet and nails and combs. Then dry them fluffy and use show sheen to bring back the shine, baby oil cream on the combs and wattles. A clean bird makes a better impression. At our State Fair this week, the number of dirty birds was amazing, I was shocked. These little pullets will make great mammas some day too.

Last edited:
Wow thanks for the quick replies so far. Keep em coming.

Lotzahenz I have a question about leaving Pullet C home. Would it be more of a "no no" for the bit of black in Pullet D's beard or the fewer spots like on Pullet C? Do they give consideration of their age since they are still so young and haven't molted to their potential yet?

Back
Top Bottom