Which Breed Do I Choose Orpington Or Brahma??

LuckyRunnerDucky

Hatching
May 19, 2020
Anyone have some experience or advise with these breeds in relation to raising them as table birds? I've had egg layers for many years but have decided to try to rear some meat ones as well. Any info/advice about either breed is welcome.

I have eaten my Orpington roosters. I like the flavor, but they were about 2 lbs dressed when they started crowing and ~3 pounds @ 6 months. Not efficient in the feed department and took up coop space a long time, too. Since you are asking for it, in my opinion, I raised cornish-x for meat. This was in the 80's. Now, I might try the red rangers.

I'd also suggest getting some of both and seeing what you like.

If you want a heritage type or sustainable breed to raise for meat, I'd also consider the jersey giant and/or bielefelders. I have both of these as well as orpingtons and brahmas (new to these). Comparatively, my bielefelders are a better meal sooner than the others, although no comparison for the traditional meatbirds as far as feed efficiency/growth rate.

Anyone have some experience or advise with these breeds in relation to raising them as table birds? I've had egg layers for many years but have decided to try to rear some meat ones as well. Any info/advice about either breed is welcome.

Just curious as to why you picked those two breeds for the table.
Nothing wrong with your choice, just being nosey. Lol

In my opinion, it’s just up to your specific preference. My preference of the two would be Buff Orpingtons because they don’t have feathering on their legs. Those extra feathers would get muddy in the winter and it would be pretty hot in the summer.
I raised some Buff Orpington roosters once for meat birds. I didn’t feed them right though I kept pullets and roosters together and feed them starter feed. They were big frame but didn’t have much volume. I think had I fed them a grower and separated them from the pullets they would have likely made some fine meat birds.

Just curious as to why you picked those two breeds for the table.
Nothing wrong with your choice, just being nosey. Lol
I'm in Suffolk and its mostly based on birds which are available for me to buy in my area. I usually hatch my own eggs as well so i wanted something relatively easy to hatch and rear from very young and I have read of several people having issues with this when buying the more commercial breeds.

I'm in Suffolk and its mostly based on birds which are available for me to buy in my area. I usually hatch my own eggs as well so i wanted something relatively easy to hatch and rear from very young and I have read of several people having issues with this when buying the more commercial breeds.
Your orpingtons might be larger than the ones I had here in the U.S.

Back
Top Bottom