Which breed has been your most gentle?

My gentle breed is for sure my Bielefelders!! Sweet sweet loving girls. They are at the bottom of the pecking order because of it but they were the first to learn their names since I toss treats to the other girls then call the Bielefelders by their names and they know if they come to me they will get the treats that the other hens won't let them have.

Black breasted red phoenix has been my best breed. Even when broody Red girl's morning routine when I let her out was food, poop, water then cuddle with me before going back to the nest. Even brings her new chicks to me. Most of her chicks so far have been extremely friendly. She's the only one I let in the shop with me to get feed. She picks whatever falls to the ground and comes running as soon as I tell her to come on. Well most of the time anyway. She has some mornings where she back talks me with an ahhh sound that I believe is chicken for "no". Can you imagine a grown man arguing with a chicken on the others side of the shop? I'm standing at the door and it goes something like.
Me:Red come on
Red: ahhh, continues eating
Me: Red
Red: ahh
Me: come on
Red: AHHH
Me: (opens door) come on Red
Red: aHhh (commence high-speed waddle) tuk...tuk..tuk

Attachments

• 0625211803b_HDR.jpg
    0625211803b_HDR.jpg
    573.3 KB · Views: 1
  • 0906211841a.jpg
    0906211841a.jpg
    384.3 KB · Views: 1
Buff Orpingtons have been the overall friendliest birds to humans and fellow chickens. This might be a nurture over nature thing though as they are my daughter's favorites so they have had the most hands-on, carried around, loved on experience out of our flock. Post beginning laying, our BLRW became runners for the friendliest human birds. They are my current favorite with how much they talk to us when we are around them and that they love to be brought inside and hang out on my shoulder as I do activities. Otherwise, the EE have been the gentlest birds. They unfortunately are at the bottom of the pecking order b/c they are so friendly and the black australorps are just jerks to them. Our lowest has feather damage from their need to peck them any time they are nearby. The BAs are getting rehomed in the spring though.

My buff orpingtons, speckled sussex, and brahmas are the friendliest and most docile. Not just friendly to me but to the rest of the flock as well.

Orpingtons are gentle giants and come in such a wide variety of colors.

Yet the bird that takes the honor of most gentle must be our silkie. She lives to be cuddled, carried and spoiled. Her body goes boneless and melts into our arms when being held. She has gone to classrooms, community events, in a parade, and even on several road trips.

Back
Top Bottom