1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Which Breed is best?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by dkissler, Jun 6, 2017.

1. dkissler

dkissler Out Of The Brooder

Oct 5, 2013
    Hi All,
    I am moving to Idaho where the temperatures range from 110 degrees in the summer time to 10 degrees in the winter. Which breed of bird(s) can acclimate to both extremes? I definitely don't want to lose any birds to weather related issues - I would feel horrible. Thanks for your help and advice.

2. Poultry parent

Poultry parent Chillin' With My Peeps

Orpingtons are great cold weather birds, and do ok in heat as long as they have shade and plenty of water

3. Sharwig

Sharwig Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2017
    Hello and welcome to the Gem State! What part of the state are you in? I live in the Boise area and have RIR's, Auracana's and Barred Rocks. They all did quite well last summer and over the harsh winter. RIR's seem to be popular in the area as I see some in nearly every flock. We also just added a Wyondotte, Black Sexlink and Golden Sexlink. If you're in this area, check out Dunlap Hatchery. Post pix when you bring the girls home!

4. Chickeggdiction

Chickeggdiction Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2016
    Alabama
    I am in Alabama and have temperature within the same range. We call our weather Bipolar since it can change from week to week. I can tell you that my Polish are not a breed I would recommend as they aren't great in cold. All the other breeds I have are both cold and hot. I have a mixed flock of about 40 with FBCM, Cuckoo, Splash and Blue Copper Marans, Orpingtons, EE, Golden Campine, Pencil Rock, Olive-Egger, Amber Sex-Link, Andalusian, Polish and Welsummers. The Marans, are heavier and to combat the heat I do provide them a fan and access to cold fresh water when the temps start to climb and they do fine. If production is what your are after I would go with any of the Rock varieties or Amber Sex-Links. If temperament and color is what you are after I love my mutt Easter Eggers and Olive Eggers and my Welsummers

5. Frazzemrat1

Frazzemrat1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2017
    Eastern Connecticut
    Chickeggdiction likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by