Which breed of chicken is at the top of your flock (pecking order)

A Welsummer named Annabelle is the undisputed Queen of my flock. She has the best stink eye I have ever seen. I've never seen her peck anyone or chest bump them. She just gives them the "look" and they back right down. She rules the lives of 3 barred rocks, 3 partridge rocks and 2 EEs. Probably thinks she's extra special because she's the only one.

Two mixed Bantam flocks - one is definitely my Polish, Tyra - she won't even let the rooster near her - just gives him the stinkeye and he walks away. The other is my black Cochin Frizzle, Esmerelda who can't run (and certainly can't fly) unless she is flapping her wings and sqwaaaking all at the same time, like everything is an emergency.

Quote:
ep.gif
I think if I was a chicken, I would take one look at that stink eye, and be on the other side of the hill in a hear beat!

I only have one that will bother another girl. My little mottled hen will go after my brown leghorn..she can't stand her for some reason, and that leghorn will shreak like she's been struck by lightening if Baily gets near her.

I have to add, when I came across this older thread, I was going to see just a couple or three, different breeds mentioned. But, it seems that any breed can become the boss, and you just have to wonder how that happens within a flock. Personalities? Mother Nature knows the strongest?

One of my cochin bantams is at the top. She is the first to "greet" any new hen added into the flock. Of course greeting to her is bonking them on the head.

Main man is Mort, Naked Neck rooster.(He had a 'dominance fight' with a much larger mutt rooster and won this morning). He's a pretty poor alpha rooster, though. His position looks like it will be challenged very soon by a very large Brahma cockerel called Artemis who is becoming more and more dominant (and bigger and bigger)

Alpha hen is Mrs Grey, 10lbs plus of Dark Brahma hen who only has to look at the other hens most of the time to exert her power. If that doesn't work she will slowly saunter over.....that always works. She is rarely, if ever mated as she poses too much of a threat to the boys.....she usually just stares them out, but pecks them very hard if they try to pin her down. Second in line is a very small Naked Neck hen and a 6 year old scraggy Warren who are just grumpy little beggars.

Bottom of the pile are a very large NNXBrahma roo who looks very fierce but is a total woos.The lowest in the hen pecking order are a Blue Partridge Brahma hen and the La Flèche ladies who never hang about to argue.

My BO "Big Girl" was the boss forever. Now though, it's a 9 mo. old pullet that's either top girl or sharing the crown, I haven't exactly figured out if they have settled it or not. Both are not very actively aggressive really. It's extremely rare to see either of them fighting, it's just below them to do it, unless you cross a line. Then they won't really "fight" but just PECK THE HELL out of the offender
gig.gif

I love the barred..yours are very pretty!
love.gif
I have a young pullet that I am waiting to see where she fits into the flock, because right now, she is a sweet girl, in with a couple of other young pullets.
I also have a Partridge Rock, she's been shy, but I think she's coming into her grown up self. I think she is noticing that she is taller and bigger now than the others..used to be the most shy girl! I don't think my bantam will even bother her now, but used to.

Back
Top Bottom