Which breed of chicken is at the top of your flock (pecking order)

2 coops: In the first coop it's definately the Barred Rock, Roxie. Coop 2 it seems to be a group of Black Sex-Links.

No roo here. My California White Pepper is top hen and not about to let anyone try anything funny either.
100_0398.jpg

She was just a lil thing here but still had tude.

Top of my flock is my 12lb B Jersey Giant Olga, she beats the stuffing out of my 10lb BO roo Judges and 13lb B Jersey Giant roo Magristrate.
Bottom are my BLRWs Red and Blue (my 3 yr old named them).

My black Austrolorp, Caiman, is the queen of the flock. The Barred Rock, Mercedes, comes in a close second.

I really don't know, and since we just introduced 3 new chickens (including a cockerel) and culled 3 the new order is still up in the air. So far the old and new chickens don't really mingle much yet.

Before the big changes, I'd guess it was my silver laced wyandotte, Gertrude. Not that I ever saw her peck at any of the other girls or give them the stink eye, but when we were having feather picking issues she was the only one who wasn't missing any feathers. My leghorn (one of the 3 culled) sure fancied herself the boss, she liked to crow and on several occasions I even saw her mount some of the other hens and peck them on the heads. But I've also seen at least one of the other girls chase her off.

Amongst the new chickens, my blue orpington (yet to be named) was without a doubt the head hen. All she had to do was look at the poor little ameraucana girl and she'd run away. And while I've seen her back down from my roo, I've also seen her give him hell too. I'm really hoping that when all is said and done she will end up as top hen because she strikes me as a benevolent leader sort.

Definitely white crested black Polish hen in one coop - named her Tyranosaurus Chicken, aka "Tyra" and it's appropriate. Even the roo doesn't bother her. When he does the 'dance' she just gives him stink eye and he walks away. She's large and in charge (and lays an enormous egg).

Other coop is Esmerelda, my black Cochin frizzle hen. Everything is an emergency with her. She can't fly but runs around sqwaking and flapping her wings to get what she wants.

Back
Top Bottom