Which breed of rooster is the more docile: Silver Laced Wyandotte or Lavender Orpington

IQL

Chirping
Jul 29, 2020
Hello fellow BYC members! I am looking to add a rooster this year and have narrowed down the breed selection to the Silver Laced Wyandotte or Lavender Orpington. I would love to hear others' experience with these two breeds as roosters. I currently have a lovely flock of 8 gentle hens so would like a gentle rooster. I realise that every rooster has its own personality and that there are jerks and angels within every breed but would like hear what the general experience has been. Thank you!

Any Orpington rooster is friendly. Rarely ever, there's a mean one.

I've had a Buff Orpington rooster for a couple years, & he was the best.

Right now I have a Project Orpington Rooster, & cockerel. They're very friendly too.

Hello fellow BYC members! I am looking to add a rooster this year and have narrowed down the breed selection to the Silver Laced Wyandotte or Lavender Orpington. I would love to hear others' experience with these two breeds as roosters. I currently have a lovely flock of 8 gentle hens so would like a gentle rooster. I realise that every rooster has its own personality and that there are jerks and angels within every breed but would like hear what the general experience has been. Thank you!
The meanest rooster I ever had was a wyandotte. He was born on my farm and I swear to you he was born mean. lol. I would shop around your community for an older rooster that has been proven to be docile as opposed to taking the crap shoot that is raising one and hoping.

I have in the breeds you area asking about.....
Buddy, a Blue English Orpington
Buddy's Son, (Blue & Cuckoo cross) English Orpington
Mr. Biggs, English Oprington cross
Powell, a Splash Laced Red Wyandotte

ALL are gentleman and good with the hens!
I am of the belief system that good genetics plays a role, as well as learned behavior. I read (somewhere on here) a long time ago that cockerels will learn how to treat the ladies from an older rooster.

I do have to say though...I have several other breeds and crosses of differing ages that are all good ones. I don't keep roosters that are rough with hens...they are butchered.

I'd say Orpingtons are generally one of the most friendly breeds, whereas Wyandottes (depending on the rooster, as you said) can sometimes be among the least friendly.

The meanest rooster I ever had was a wyandotte. He was born on my farm and I swear to you he was born mean. lol. I would shop around your community for an older rooster that has been proven to be docile as opposed to taking the crap shoot that is raising one and hoping.
Thank you.

I have in the breeds you area asking about.....
Buddy, a Blue English Orpington
Buddy's Son, (Blue & Cuckoo cross) English Orpington
Mr. Biggs, English Oprington cross
Powell, a Splash Laced Red Wyandotte

ALL are gentleman and good with the hens!
I am of the belief system that good genetics plays a role, as well as learned behavior. I read (somewhere on here) a long time ago that cockerels will learn how to treat the ladies from an older rooster.

I do have to say though...I have several other breeds and crosses of differing ages that are all good ones. I don't keep roosters that are rough with hens...they are butchered.
Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom