Which breed of rooster is the more docile: Silver Laced Wyandotte or Lavender Orpington

We have an Orpington roo and I love him. He’s not that old yet but by far is so gentle and hasn’t shown any signs of aggression. We will be keeping him for the long run.
Update****
Our orpington ended up turning against EVERYONE. He tried me a couple times. My husband. My dad when he was visiting. And then he started going after the kids so he is no longer a problem. I will say though we gave a golden laced Wyandotte to my best friend and she had a flock of older hens. He ended up being amazing. And now we have a whiting true blue rooster. And I LOVE HIM. He is so kind to the girls. And doesn’t pay no attention to us at all. But he always notices if there is a treat and have witnessed him getting hens in the coop. I think it’s all in breeding and luck honestly.

Hello fellow BYC members! I am looking to add a rooster this year and have narrowed down the breed selection to the Silver Laced Wyandotte or Lavender Orpington. I would love to hear others' experience with these two breeds as roosters. I currently have a lovely flock of 8 gentle hens so would like a gentle rooster. I realise that every rooster has its own personality and that there are jerks and angels within every breed but would like hear what the general experience has been. Thank you!
Hello Everyone, I appreciated everyone's replies. I ended up getting a Lavender Orpington rooster and we are very happy with him. He is gentle, looks out for the hens, and eats from our hands. I got a LO hen too who is very sweet and elegant. Also got a Silver Laced Wyandotte hen who is sweet but skittish - although she will take a treat from our hands. Thanks again for all your comments.

Attachments

• Lavie and Rod.jpg
    Lavie and Rod.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2
Hello Everyone, I appreciated everyone's replies. I ended up getting a Lavender Orpington rooster and we are very happy with him. He is gentle, looks out for the hens, and eats from our hands. I got a LO hen too who is very sweet and elegant. Also got a Silver Laced Wyandotte hen who is sweet but skittish - although she will take a treat from our hands. Thanks again for all your comments.
He’s a nice looking rooster! I too have a LO rooster who is going on 7 months and we are very happy with his temperament. He lets my daughter carry him around and so far has been very good with my pullets. He is however still a teenager that needs to learn the ropes a bit haha. I also have a GLW and she is the same, sweet but easily spooked and does not enjoy pets and being held. Her boyfriend was a BLRW that I had to rehome. He was also a very good boy but much less friendly than out LO. ☺️ Your pair will make some pretty adorable babies!! I’m jealous 😁 both my LOs were boys 😩

Attachments

• A027299E-B3E1-4761-B074-041DCAAC564B.jpeg
    A027299E-B3E1-4761-B074-041DCAAC564B.jpeg
    276.9 KB · Views: 1
Your rooster is also handsome. Roughly the same age and ours is also still learning the ropes but coming into his own relatively well. However, last week he decided to take on our dominant hen - a Majestic Maran - who has never let him mate with her so we are now trying to sort out how to get him to leave her alone. Chicken challenges! If the LO hen does go broody, the chicks will be sweet indeed☺️

Update****
Our orpington ended up turning against EVERYONE. He tried me a couple times. My husband. My dad when he was visiting. And then he started going after the kids so he is no longer a problem. I will say though we gave a golden laced Wyandotte to my best friend and she had a flock of older hens. He ended up being amazing. And now we have a whiting true blue rooster. And I LOVE HIM. He is so kind to the girls. And doesn’t pay no attention to us at all. But he always notices if there is a treat and have witnessed him getting hens in the coop. I think it’s all in breeding and luck honestly.
Just saw your update and am sorry to hear about the change in your rooster. Ours still is sweet except that, as of last week, he has decided to try to take on our dominant hen who wants nothing to do with him. He has drawn blood from her so we separated him for now and are trying to re-integrate during the day. He is great with the other hens but not our dominant hen. We are watching carefully because we love them both. That said, if he ever turns against us, or any other hen, then we know the decision to make.

Back
Top Bottom