Which breed(s) of chickens would make the best therapy pets, in your experience/opinion?

Pretty much any breed of chicken makes a good pet. There are a few breeds that are known for being particularly docile, but always remember each bird is its own individual. Here are a few of the most popular "pet" chicken breeds.

-Silkies
-Cochins (bantams in particular, but standards are sweet too)-
-Orpingtons
-Brahmas
-Wyandottes
-Easer Eggers
-Barred Rocks
-Sussexs
-Rhode Island Reds

Again, these are so of the most popular but there are tons of breeds to choose from so do your research!

Im a bit late but Seramas make great pets. They are quiet, small, really friendly, and pretty. Ameraucanas and Silkies have great personalities too!

I only have experience with a few breeds but my black australorp is a lap chicken. Her sisters are also pretty friendly. When doing my research info friendly breeds I read that handling them often when they're young helps with their friendliness.

Attachments

• 3DFF2493-1A23-43CF-BDF2-886C81325774.jpeg
    3DFF2493-1A23-43CF-BDF2-886C81325774.jpeg
    729.8 KB · Views: 1
I have owned lots of breeds over the years and as mentioned already, most chickens would be good therapy chickens BUT all chickens have their own personality regardless of breed. I don't raise my chickens to be lap chickens but the majority of them are friendly and my kid can scoop them up no problem. That being said, my Delawares are the friendliest chickens I've ever owned and have been from chicks. If I sit outside they come perch on my leg and I certainly didn't do anythinf to make them that way.

Bantam breeds are more inclined to being friendly, however the breeding is something to note. Hatchery stock VS breeder that knows their birds comes to mind heavily.

Back
Top Bottom