Which breed to get?

tootmany

Songster
Mar 14, 2018
SD
Hey there. I hear about a lot of reproductive issues with high egg production hens. I'm looking to get a girl (bantams welcome) who will give me some eggs, maybe 1-5 a week, but I would like to know if there are any breeds that tend to have healthy systems. I'd like to avoid too much broodiness if I can too.

Docile and personable is always a plus! All opinions welcome. Just bear in mind that I think strongly of my animals as companions, so I am looking for breed that will have a good shot at growing old, well past their reliable egg laying days! Thanks!

New Hampshire’s!Grat hardy and heavy breed,and lay nice large brown eggs.Hreat personality.My rooster lets me hold him and etc.The hens also are fairly friendly.

Australorps are great birds, though broodiness has not been completely bred out of them. Good production layers, and hardy. They're not overly friendly, but they're very calm. I call mine "the ladies."

You might also like Wyandottes (slightly more broody, but very pretty,) Easter Eggers (Peacombs and they lay a nice number of green eggs.)

Calm birds are very often broody birds, I've found.

Henderson's Chicken Breed Chart

Hey there. I hear about a lot of reproductive issues with high egg production hens. I'm looking to get a girl (bantams welcome) who will give me some eggs, maybe 1-5 a week, but I would like to know if there are any breeds that tend to have healthy systems. I'd like to avoid too much broodiness if I can too.

Docile and personable is always a plus! All opinions welcome. Just bear in mind that I think strongly of my animals as companions, so I am looking for breed that will have a good shot at growing old, well past their reliable egg laying days! Thanks!
Buff orpingtons! I know their not bantums, but they're sweet and lay lots of eggs!

Last edited:
Aren't they broody, though?
Yes, but my girl olga has only hatched 4 chicks and she is about 5 years old. She hatched one chick, Shelly, 2 years ago and 3 chx, Peachy breeze, Freedom, and Indy last year. She has also had remarkable recoveries in multiple illnesses. She is my favorite hen as she is still laying and is super sweet and cuddly.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom