Which breed would you recommend?

pinksky

In the Brooder
10 Years
Sep 7, 2009
san francisco, ca
I hope this is the right place to post my question...

I am hoping to eventually buy 3 chickens from a local farm. I want to get a Silver Laced Wyandotte (I think they are so beautiful) and an Ameraucana (can't resist the green eggs) but I can't decide on the third. Based on your experiences what would you recommend for the third? I would prefer a good layer and friendly disposition. These are the breeds I can choose from:

Buff Orpington
Columbian Wyandotte
Delaware
Rhode Island Red
Speckled Sussex

So what do you think? I would love to see any photos that you have!

Buff orpington, they are very good-natured from what I have heard. RIR are very good layers, but their disposition can be somewhat iffy.

My RIR are like cats. They can take you or leave you..unless you have food.
lol.png

I dont have any of the other breeds to help you out, but I LOVE our cuckoo Marans!!

Quote:
First off, you don't want GREEN eggs. Ameraucanas lay BLUE. If it's not blue, it's an easter egger, not an Ameraucana.

Secondly, I'm going to agree with the orpingtons. Big, fluffy, cute, and sweet.
smile.png

Of the remaining ones on your list, the Buff Orpington would probably make the best "pet layer." They are docile and people-friendly. We like our RIRs, they get along with the kids just fine, but like Bluegrass said, they're rather food driven and kinda like cats! Our will come running to see if we have treats, but they're strictly there for the handouts. They'll happily sit on the arm of your lawn chair and beg all day, as long as you have peanuts, though.

Orpingtons and Golden Comets are the friendliest I've been around. Wyandotte's temperments seem to vary widely. I've got no experience with Delawares, though I've heard good things and may try to find a few this spring.

Out of that list, would you guys say that RIRs are the most prolific layers and the Buffs are the nicest?

Thanks for all the replies!

Our Speckled Sussex are super friendly and laid back. But they aren't old enough to lay yet so I can't tell you about egg production.

Speckled Sussex are so pretty. I think Columbian Wyandottes are really good looking birds too but I don't want to choose purely based on aesthetics...or maybe that's ok? Especially if all are decent layers? I wish I could just have one of each. sigh.

Honestly any of them are great except the RIR. Despite what people say, RIR hens can get some hostility to the also, and its alot different then how most people say, " Its all in how you raise them". I have hand raised many chicken breeds, and RIR's still like to bite the hand that feeds them.

Back
Top Bottom