Which breed would you recommend?

This isnt always the case though, I am not saying all of them will be this way but do you still want to chance that. I think if you are wanting a good gentle hen, any orpingtons. I am planning on starting to breed lavender orpingtons. They are B-E-A-U-TIFUL!
tongue.png

As one newbie to another, letting people know, in a general way, where you live, would help them give you good advice.

I had to abandon the idea of getting Wyandottes because I live in the steamy southeast while Wyandottes are a cold-weather bird. When I asked the people here with the practical experience they told me that Wyandottes wouldn't cope well with my summers (though they can take just about anything a harsh winter can dish out).

For my climate, research indicates that Australorps and Delawares are a better option.

Another newbie in the muddy Pacific Northwest was advised to avoid the feather-footed breeds because they couldn't be kept clean in that environment.

There's no perfect breed, but the more information you give about your individual needs the better the helpful people here will be at advising you on what is and isn't likely to meet those needs.
smile.png

Last edited:
Get what you like best. I've had hatchery RIRs as well as the beautiful, dark breeder quality ones, and not one was a mean, aggressive bird, none of them.
Wyandottes can take heat or cold just fine. I've only had the hatchery version and I sold two, while the rest died from internal laying. We get down to about 5 degrees on some winter days and up to the 90's in summer on occasion.

Buff Orps are sweet, but some of them will brood often. Depends.

I have had BBS Ameraucanas as well as Easter Eggers and they have all been good layers.

Delawares....hmm. I raise heritage Delawares out of good stock. They are awesome birds, great layers, heat and cold tolerant, though the single combs could be an issue with the roosters in extreme winter conditions, as with all single combed breeds. I've had hatchery stock that were mean, flighty birds and almost didn't take a chance on them again till a breeder convinced me.

My Speckled Sussex is an eating machine in a stubby, round body. She's a character and lays a small, almost white egg.

My absolute favorite breed is the Barred Plymouth Rock, though.

I have to say my two Speckled Sussex are my favorites. They are laid back like the Buff Orps I used to have, extremely friendly, and smart (they actually answer to their names like dogs...if you want Jo, call "Jo"...If you want Meg, call "Meg"). If I sit down outside, I end up with a lap-of-Meg
big_smile.png

Buff Orps are also sweet. Mine weren't that smart, but they are cuddle babies. My main problem with them is they go broody at the drop of a hat, not good if you want eggs, but for great mothers they can't be beat.

RIR great layers!!!!! Not so friendly, although I had a few RIR/Buff-Orp crosses and they seemed to have the best of both worlds.

My EEs are pretty, intelligent, but kinda moody about the whole petting issue...one day yes, next day no
hu.gif

My Favorelles are only 7 weeks old, but they are quickly getting a spot in my heart. Sweet, loveable, GORGEOUS, make great pets. Three of my pullets and one of my roos have learned the art of shoulder & arm perching (cute now, but it may wear off when I have four full-sized chickens trying to perch on me) Plus their 5-toed, feathered feet are just PRECIOUS. I just can't vote on their egg laying abilities yet.

36390_image22.jpg

SS & EEs

36390_image25.jpg

**They are eating Chicken Muffins from Camelot Farms btw https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=227261
EE
36390_100_0519.jpg

EE
36390_100_0516.jpg

Faverolles (back during their 4-day-old phase)
36390_chicks_8-2-09013.jpg

Faverolles at 4 weeks
36390_favs_8-11-09.jpg

I have had a super friendly RIR, she was a noisy one tho. I loved her.

Have 2 BO's both really friendly, super nice, lay med brown eggs, @ 4 eggs a week. One is super broody.

Loved my EE. She got taken by a bob cat. Just ordered 25 more. So I really love them.

You will love any you get. I would get the one I wanted the most, like someone else already suggested. Just be prepared to want more and more.
wee.gif
wee.gif

i absolutly love my breeds they are soo sweet i just bend down and pet some of them especially the roos i have

New Hampshire Reds
Barred Plymouth Rocks
Easter Eggers

o and i no this is been said but chickens are like chips you just cant have one!!! so beware i started with 3 chickens and now have 27

My RIRs are fairly friendly. We have two small children, and they play with the hens all the time. The RIRs don't really seek interaction though, unless there's food involved.

They can be a bit nippy if they get overly excited while competing for hand-fed treats, if there are several all trying to grab the same peanut from your hand, but they're not that bad. Generally just saying "no!" and withholding treats for a few seconds gets them settled down and waiting their turn. I've not had issue with them biting otherwise. They are very productive layers, nearly an egg a day each on average at peak. However, the Oprington on your list will likely produce well, and will probably be a better choice as a friendly pet.

Orpingtons and Golden Comets are the most "kid friendly" pet chickens we've had, but the RIR hens have not been biters.

Just my $.02 ... there can be wide variations within breeds.

I used to work at a ranch that had silver-laced Wyandottes and RIRs. The Wyandottes just kind of strutted around and did their thing (loved the fluffy butts on the hens! Looked like feathery diapers) but the RIRs were a little aggressive at times ... except the rooster was EXTREMELY aggreessive. He attacked me several times, my husband, husband's horse, the dog, several cats, the owner's wife and finally ... the owner. Seems it wasn't funny when HE was attacked.

Quote:
My Buffs are very sweet but they do go broody and when they do that then they do not lay. I have the silver laced wyandotte and mine have not been broody and are good layers. I have been flogged by rhode island reds so I am scared of them! and I have never had a sussex or the delaware.

Back
Top Bottom