Which breed?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by joskt0204, May 12, 2011.

1. joskt0204

joskt0204 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2011
    east TN
    I very sadly lost my buff orpington pullet at six weeks of age. She was the greatest of my chicks. We only had three, so I feel like I need to add one or two more, in case of any other problems. (Kilo was totally my fault - we had a bad storm, and when I went out to secure them in the upper, enclosed portion of the coop, I didn't get the outer door shut all the way, so in the morning, when I opened it up, she got out and the dogs got her.)

Anyway, here are the breeds I can find about the same age.

White leghorns, austra white, comets, red sex-link, speckled sussex, welsummer, dominique

I want friendly, curious, and funny chicks. Any thoughts?

2. BeccaOH

BeccaOH Morning Gem Farm

Oct 3, 2008
    east central Ohio
    Sorry about your loss. [​IMG]

You can look at this chart for some help on temperament, egg quality, etc., but just remember it is basically just one poultry keeper's experience and opinion. http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/chooks.html

IMHO, I love my 2 Welsummer hens. They have been the most chatty and silly to watch. They can be a tad flighty, but with regular handling in a small flock like yours, a Welsummer hen should be fairly friendly. I'd probably just go with a breed you like as far as their looks and laying ability and then work on handling the pullet until she gets used to you, since temperament can very from bird to bird.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by