Which breeds have the lowest chance of getting egg yolk peritonitis?

OwO

Songster
9 Years
May 26, 2014
UK
Honestly so sick of EYP and salpingitis. Lost so many birds to it over the years. I am assuming breeds that aren't bred for laying have the lowest chances of getting it, but do all chickens still have a chance that it can happen? Most of mine that have had EYP were daily layers and laid pretty much all year round. I don't care if they don't lay much, I just don't want them to get EYP :(

What breeds do you currently have? The Red, Black, and Amber Sex Links (top brown egg production birds) and the Pearl White Leghorns (top white egg production birds) are known to have issues like this and they usually don't live as long. Not only do they often get it, it can also be genetic. Using artificial lights to encourage more laying even in the winter months can also lead to these issues.

I've raised plenty of Orpingtons and only issue I had with one was because it ate some hay and couldn't digest it properly. I did breed my Orpington rooster to the Red Sex Links and ended up with the genetic issue being passed down to the offspring from the RSL, not Orpington (which passed down to that hen's daughter as well).

The slower laying breeds do help a lot, and are less likely to have this issue, but any breed could have an issue, unfortunately. I haven't had troubles with my pure Orpingtons yet, so maybe you'd like to give them a try? If you can, get some quality ones from a NIPIP certified breeder, not any Hatchery ones. A breeder should be more in tone with their flock and be less likely to breed the weaker birds than your regular chicken hatchery.

Avoiding this is hard!
Finding blood lines that have been selected for longevity is wonderful, if you can find any. In general, most breeders and hatcheries breed birds that are one year of age, or maybe slightly older, but birds aren't kept for years, so health issues get passed on. I'd guess that the more popular breeds are most affected by this, as it's the most economical method of breeder flock management.
Mary

I lost an Orpington at around 8 months I think? I can't quite remember how old she was, but it was under a year.
She was a rather 'fancy' fairly showy bird, and was always laying odd eggs and got egg bound once. She then got water belly and I put her down. (and was pretty devastated)
I think ones best bet is to get farmyard bred birds, not high production and not show birds.

Back
Top Bottom