Which breeds lay the biggest eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by carress, Feb 14, 2009.

1. carress

carress Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2008
    Orange county NY
    I have one pretty light brown egg that's HUGE pretty much every day.
    I have 8 layers who have been laying since august/september.
    They slowed down a lot over the winter, but now that spring is almost here, they're laying again. One hen is laying HUGE eggs..so big I can't close the carton- not even close to closing it. They were ALL laying before, and none were this big.

I have 2 black australorps, 1 buff cochin, 1 leghorn (white), 1 salmon favorelle, 2 rir, 1 golden comet

Also....
    I have 2 freedom rangers who never made it to the chopping block. They're a bit over 5 months old and I've heard no crowing, so I may have some hens on my hands...could they be the culprit(s)?

I'd like to get more of whomever is dropping the football sized eggs..and maybe I need to give her butt some TLC...

2. msgenie516

msgenie516 The Happy Hen

May 16, 2008
    Nesconset, LI, NY
    Hi,

I'm no expert but I would guess the Golden Comet, especially if she's the oldest. The older the hens get, the bigger the eggs. It could be one of the others, though. Hope this helps! Genie

3. weloveourchicks

weloveourchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2008
    Virginia
    I am interested in the same thing. We have one chick that is laying such big brown eggs we cannot close the carton. We'd like to get more of that breed but can't figure out which is laying it. We have Brown leg horns (white - eggs), RIR, Sexlink, Barrelrock (sp?) -

Susan

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    My largest eggs come from my white leghorns, red sex links and Rhode Island Reds. I've gotten double yolkers from all of those.

Light brown... could be one of your faverolles.

5. pascopol

pascopol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    Tampa Bay
    Quote:Sandhill Preservation claims their Delawares deliver the largest jumbo eggs, many double yolkers .

Generally speaking the older the hen the larger the eggs, and less eggs per year as the hen gets older.

6. msgenie516

msgenie516 The Happy Hen

May 16, 2008
    Nesconset, LI, NY
    Quote:Yes, that is why I picked the Golden Comet, I believe they are the same or very similar to the Red Sex Links. I would have picked the RIR's also, but Carress doesn't have them. And white Leghorns lay white eggs, so they weren't a possibility.

I'm not at all familiar with the Faverolles, so I'm sure that could be another choice. Also, maybe Black Austrolorps or the Buff Cochin? The trouble is, I don't know the egg colors of these breeds. Genie

7. neckringer

neckringer Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2008
    MY red sex links lay some whoppers nearly everyday.

8. carress

carress Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2008
    Orange county NY
    I have TWO RIR's..
    All my layers are about the same age. one or both of my black australorps is about 3 months older than the others.

Is it possible that the freedom rangers are laying?

So.. the possibilities are:

The RIR's - likely b/c there are two of them, and I have gotten almost an egg a day for a bit over a week.

Salmon favorelle - b/c of its color

Golden comets - b/c they're like sexlinks (which I heard are great layers)

It's NOT the leghorn - her eggs are white.

Can we rule out the buff cochin? I don't want another Buffy - she's a big mouthed diva.

I noticed something weird this afternoon. When I went into the coop to ring water, one of my FR squatted. I've read that that's a sign that the bird is laying. In my own birds, I have observed that as true...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by