which breeds of dog around hens

jillkaplan

Chirping
6 Years
Aug 19, 2013
What are the best breeds of dogs to raise around free range chickens?

We’d love to get a puppy but wonder if all breeds with training can overcome strong prey drive.
Our last dog was a pit.
We couldn’t have had chickens with her.

Thanks for the tips.
Jill

My German Shepherd puppy is great around the poultry. His mother used to watch the farm and then when my dog, Rascal was only 2 weeks old my neighbors Doberman killed rascals mom :( Anyway now since rascal has been training for a bit he’s pretty comfortable around the poultry

With the open understanding that having any predator animal (dog) around prey (chicken) may have violent ends, I think that getting a breed created to be around farm animals is safest. I have a German Shepherd/ border collie mix. She took definite training to be around the birds, but now she does not see them as ‘killable’ animals. She kills wild rabbits, but never seeks to hurt the chickens. It took months of training.

Terriers are very prey driven. I would avoid them, generally. Although some of the less terrier-ish 'pits' make great farm animals.
My hounds are great with the chickens, but come with other problems.
One of the livestock guardian breeds, perhaps.
Always a lot of research to do when considering a dog. Take your time.
Best of luck

@jillkaplan What breed did you end up getting?

We are looking for a breed that, with training will be good around our chickens, and can also be a family dog and go on trips and such. We’ve looked into Aussies, shelties, and border collies, but we’ve heard they can be destructive, which we don’t want(however, I guess any breed can be destructive)...

I have an Australian Sheppard, a very nice dog, never bothers the chickens other than she is sure I am giving them the better scraps from the table. She is not a guard dog by any means. She is a ranch dog and does get a tremendous amount of exercise.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom