Which breeds should i get next time?

mix3dbreed

Chirping
Sep 17, 2015
Hello guys and gals.My 1st incubation chics are just over 2 months olds. All but one was mixed breed. As i was just trying to figure out if i could do this.

This time around im using only my flocks eggs. So naturally mixed breed again. Im fine with this.

But im already looking ahead. My 3rd incubation i want it to be pure breeds. We dont have them here locally. So they have to come by air mail. We all know how complicated it can be.

My problem is which types i should go with.

I want a breed to lay eggs as much as possible.
Another type i would like are ornamental. For this type doesnt matter how many eggs they lay.
Maybe a 3rd option would be to sell eggs for profit.

The only option right now im not too high is breeding to kill. At least not yet.

I thinkinh about 4-6 diferent breeds.

So i would like to hear your opinions and experience in this matter.

Thank you.

At the top of this page is a box marked, "breeds". This might be something you'd be interested in looking at as it gives a good profile of each breed as well as pictures.

Ive already done my reaserch. I have a few types already in mind. But what im looking for here is personall experience. Not all types are alike. Of course every one has their favorite.

Because i have 1 brahma light, im kind of bias towards that breed. But on the flip side. There are 2 types i dont really enjoy seeing them. I wont say here, because its just my opinion. And there are problably alot folks here who love those types.

But anyway whic is you favorite by the way?

Thanks

Based on your criteria I would suggest the following breeds (this assumes that you want pure breeds and not hybrids):

Breed that lays the most eggs: White Leghorns lay more eggs than any other breed. They are the breed used by laying houses for white eggs as they consistently churn out more than 300 large white eggs per hen per year and a White Leghorn holds the egg laying record (set in 1979) with 371 eggs in 364 days. Just be aware that Leghorns tend to be high strung and flighty (don't like being handled).

Ornamental breed: This is subjective and will depend on your personal taste. I personally think that Salmon Faverolles are probably the prettiest breed (see photo below). In addition they are calm and gentle (great lap pets) and good layers as well.

Selling eggs for profit: Sex Links would be the way to go here, however since you want pure breeds (sex links are hybrids), I would suggest Black Australorps which are typically the best layers of the brown egg laying breeds. A Black Australorp holds the brown egg laying record with 364 eggs in 365 days (although you won't have many today lay more than 300 eggs in a year). Brown eggs typically sell for a higher price than white eggs and Australorps are extremely hardy birds with calm and gentle temperaments. Whatever breeds you decide to get, good luck with your flock.

large-breed-salmon-faverolle-chicks-for-sale-536e147b0238e.JPG

Salmon Faverolles (http://www.pets4homes.co.uk/images/...n-faverolle-chicks-for-sale-536e147b0238e.JPG)

Last edited:
Faverolles are defenitly on my list. So are leghorns, if the places im looking have them. As for the Astrolorp, havent seen much of them.

Thanks for you insight.

Back
Top Bottom