Which Breeds To Cross..ffa

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Barredacauna, May 28, 2011.

1. Barredacauna

Barredacauna Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    Okay, so in FFA im doing a project where im going to breed the best meat Bird, and take a meat/layer and cross breed them.... i was thinking i was going to take a RIR Rooster to a BR hen...?? any suggestions?????? [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: May 28, 2011
  2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    [​IMG]

Can you edit your post and change the title to something like "which breeds to cross?"? It might help you get more responses.

3. Barredacauna

May 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    Thanks for the tip!
    Quote:

4. Laigaie

Laigaie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2011
    Fayetteville, AR
    So the project is to cross-breed a layer and a meatie to get a better meatie? As far as growing good meaties, Cornish crosses are always your best bet.

5. Barredacauna

May 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    The project is to get a dual purpose bird... Half Layer, Half Meatie

6. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Those exist. Orpington, Plymouth Rock and to lesser extent Rhode Island Red are great dual purpose birds. If you can get a hold of an old type New Hampshire that would get you a faster maturing meatie. The NH was bred out from the RIR for just that purpose, anymore the hatchery stock is same as RIR and in these forums referred to as Production Reds. Older type Australorp was a serious utility bird too. That was made taking a black Orpington and crossing into it Rock and a few others. So I'd say if your looking to improve on a duel purpose breed I'd start with good quality Australorp and then see about locating fast maturing heritage New Hampshire.

7. dretd

dretd Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2009
    Ft Collins, CO
    Quote:Interesting project!

Your RIRxBR will get you a Black Sex-Link.

You might want to try a Brahma and cross it with a fast growing high egg production bird and see what happens. Brahmas are sure big and could be the meat bird half. You could even do a sex link if you did your RIR roo and crossed it with a Light Brahma hen=Red Sex Link.

Good Luck!

Last edited: May 28, 2011
  8. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Today I was reading in Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens: 3rd Edition (Storey's Guide to Raising Series) by Gail Damerow

about the RIR and Barred Rock cross which they call a Black Sex-link or Black Star. Damerow said that this bird weighs in heaver than the Red-sex-link, and thus she says is a better meat bird, or "dual purpose" bird, than the Red. As the other poster stated though, these crosses are to get maximum egg production.

A lot of the existing breeds already are considered 'dual purpose'. Does FFA want you to experiment with existing known results or to find a new type of cross?

Good luck with the project it sounds very interesting. Post your results when you get them to help enlighten others about what you learned. Thanks.

9. Barredacauna

May 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    Thanks to everyone who replied! i think i might just go with the black sex-link... but what would i get if i crossed a black sex-link with a red-sexlink??? theres something to think about! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. Barredacauna

May 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    I was going to try and find a new type of cross!
    Quote:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by