Which broody should I choose to raise chicks hatching on 8th

puffmuff

Chirping
8 Years
Apr 17, 2011
New York State
This is the situation. I will have 6+ Dorking chicks hatching on the 8th. I can not tell you how excited I am!
wee.gif
I want one of my broodies to raise them - I just am unsure as to which one to choose. Can you help? Thanks.

Broody #1 - White Plymouth Rock (Crybaby) almost 1 year old
First time broody in April - Hatched out 5 chicks 28-04-11 and raised them for under 3 weeks. She then went back to the flock.
Second time broody in June - eggs due 11-07-11
Social status is almost at the bottom of the pecking order.

Broody #2 - Black Australorpe (The Vulture) almost 1 year old
First time broody in April - Hatched out 2 chicks 02-05-11 and raised them for about 5 weeks. She then went back to the flock.
Second time broody in June - eggs due 11-07-11
Social status is in the mid to upper area of the pecking order.

Broody #3 - Partridge Cochin (Lucky) 2 year old hen
First time broody in June 2010 - Hatched out 1 chick 08-07-11 and raised her for 4 weeks. She then went back to the flock.
Second time broody in June - eggs due 21-07-11
Social status is higher than the pullets but low among the 2 year old hens

Broody #4 - Buff Cochin (Yummy #2) 2 year old hen
First time broody in June - eggs due 21-07-11
Social status is high at number 3

There is alot I could say about them - pros and cons but it took me an hour just to write this.
smile.png
Thanks

Best Wishes for your upcoming hatch! Based on your list, I would say Broody #2 gets my vote.

I prefer to have my higher ranking hens raise chicks for me. When I have had a lower ranking hen try to integrate chicks after a week or so of separation, she and her chicks got pecked on. Therefore, when my lower pecking order hens are mommies, they get separated for the duration of chick raising until I find homes for the chicks. Then the hens go back into the flock. Now only my #1 or #2 hens get to keep their chicks in with the flock after that first week of separation.

I want to thank all of you so much for reading my post and replying.
big_smile.png
I was, also, leaning towards broody #2 with broody #4 as my second choice. So much thanks again!
cool.png

Back
Top Bottom