Which cheap incubator?

earthnut

Songster
12 Years
Sep 18, 2007
Seattle, Cascadia
What would you guys recommend for a cheap incubator for a beginner? What do you think of little giant and hovabator? fan or no? turner or no? I intend to hatch no more than 24 eggs in it, I've read to get one bigger than you need so that the eggs can be in the center because the corners tend to be less reliable in temperature.

Thanks!

My recommendation, if you're not going to make one yourself, is the Hovabator with fan and auto turner. Still, for what you get, it is relatively expensive, considering the few parts that it actually has. I have also found that the ones in the center, leaving the edges free, hatch more reliably.

Hi! I have both and like the LG better for incubating. It seems to hold a degree or so 'tighter temp range' than the Hova (it may be that the LG's have electronic thermostats and the Hova has a wafer, I don't know).

I'd recommend the fan and turner. The fan to help even out the temps and the turner just cause I'm too forgetful to remember to turn eggs.

Good luck with whichever you chose,
Lisa

We have the hovabator without a fan but with the auto turner. I would have loved the fan, but we had really good luck with it. I would highly recommend 2-3 days of getting comfortable with the thermostat twisty thing on it... It can be kind of a challenge. *laughs*

We had 23 eggs, and got successful development to the end on 22 of them. 3 didn't hatch.

It did everything it needed to very well.
smile.png

That would make sense, Lisa. The Hovas do have a wafer. Some have said the Hova is taller and slightly roomier than the LG, but I have no first hand experience with the LG.
Definitely a fan and turner make for better hatches!

For what it's worth, the Hova is 5 1/2" from wire rack to heating element and the LG is only 4" --- that extra space would be great for hatching geese or turkeys.

The inside diameter of the Hova is a smidge bigger too but only fractions of an inch.
The Hova 'heavier- duty' / thicker styrofoam than the LG.

Lisa

Just FYI...I have an LG still air....it really sucks. The temps flucuate terribly. I have it placed in an area where the temp is steady. I can and have gotten spikes of up to 110 degrees. I would NOT get an LG.

I have a LG and the temps do fluctuate alot. If you did buy one I would say buy one with a fan. If i had it to do all over again...lol... I wouldnt of bought the LG. I cant say anything about the Hova, never had one.

I found a basic still-air LG for half off locally. Hopefully they will return my email and I'll go pick it up in a couple days. If it's available, I think I'll get that and a fan. Otherwise I might get the hova with a fan because I'm having trouble finding a new LG for sale other than ebay. I don't really like buying from ebay. Is there a good source for LGs prebuilt with fans?

Back
Top Bottom