Which Chicken Breeds Sell Best?

To turn your project into some more than that, I think it would be required. As for breed, IDK. "I" would not buy for looks, but function. Check your local ads. Good luck.
And that is definitely what I want to do. I don't want to just "sell", I want to be official and professional. I have a slight history in business and want to incorporate and enjoy the business aspect as well.

From what I have read, craigslist or auctions would be a route to consider. But I have plenty of land to keep any non-sellers separate from being bred if all else fails. What would you suggest?
I don't really have a suggestion. CL could work, auction would probably be better. Carnivore sanctuaries is another option. Dinner, as well.

Just adding my two cents! Choose a breed that you enjoy working with first and foremost, creating a market for them or seeing what’s popular in your area is secondary. I have different breeds but only breed silkies because I enjoy them and I found they were the easiest to sell straight run for a decent amount of money in my area.😊
My silkie crosses/hybrids are more difficult to sell.

I apologize if this question has been asked before but couldn't find it if it has. I am looking into starting a small local hatchery in Louisville, Kentucky. I just can't stop. I love chickens so much and the love keepa growing! So my question is which breeds would be the best to breed that will sell?

I would think one that is more rare to find and not often available to make the most profit. But I also want one that would be friendly and on the cuddlier side, of course! Any suggestions and ideas are appreciated! Thank you!
Silkies, Easter Eggers, Olive Eggers, Americanas, Blue Laced Red Wyandottes, and Lavender or Chocolate Orpingtons all are great choices.
Just don't do mixes. They don't sell very good.

Just adding my two cents! Choose a breed that you enjoy working with first and foremost, creating a market for them or seeing what’s popular in your area is secondary. I have different breeds but only breed silkies because I enjoy them and I found they were the easiest to sell straight run for a decent amount of money in my area.😊
My silkie crosses/hybrids are more difficult to sell.

I agree with this. Breed only what you’re passionate about and would be interested in even without the business aspect. Your chicken is a product and your product will be of higher quality if you enjoy pouring into them and if you get to know your breed(s) inside and out.

Any extras i would not sell at auctions thats one sure way to bring in unwanted diseases. As for breeds nothing here sells unless its free so I just eat my extras at 5 weeks now I dont have time for a maybe sale. I breed wyandottes and only for me as im trying to make a mottled/tolbunt one and lavender ones

Here are my thoughts, FWIW. I know little about breeding, genetics, or the business end of things.

If you want to really make a business of it, you have to get all the certifications/licenses taken care of. What are they? I have no idea. But you don't want to go to all the work and expense, only to have someone take it all away because you didn't dot your i's and cross your t's.

Do you have a way to fund this endeavor? Start small and grow? Can you afford to do it for a year --or more -- without it turning a dime?

I have gotten chicks from a breeder only once. I have to say I was not impressed with her, and I don't think I'd get more birds from her again. Why? A few things. Not returning calls. I had to wait about 20 minutes at our meeting spot, which was on her property. I was on time, and had driven 115 miles to get there. One of the chicks had pasty butt. (Yeah, that happens, but clean it up before you sell it, duh.) Why did I buy from her? She had the birds I wanted, and I could buy just a few, not 10 or 15. That was the only reason.

The above experience is something you don't want people to have with you. I'm not giving her name because others have spoken highly of her, and maybe I just had a sub-par experience.

Back
Top Bottom