Which Chicken Breeds Sell Best?

Pics
Wow, beautiful! How is their temperament? I just found out I have a Calico Princess, who is most definitely a PRINCE in my opinion. I cannot find anything on them!
Malays, seem to be not much different then a regular chicken, from what I have observed.

Things that stand out, about them:

If they feel threatened, they will defend themselves, & the flock. They're not aggressive towards humans, or other birds. (Like all chickens, a bad cockerel will pop up)

They have greater intelligence, & will avoid a situation if they feel it's needed. They problem solve.

They are very alert, & always has an eye out for danger. They choose to whether fight, or flee.

What does your calico princess look like? Yes I can't find much information on them either.

Malays, seem to be not much different then a regular chicken, from what I have observed.

Things that stand out, about them:

If they feel threatened, they will defend themselves, & the flock. They're not aggressive towards humans, or other birds. (Like all chickens, a bad cockerel will pop up)

They have greater intelligence, & will avoid a situation if they feel it's needed. They problem solve.

They are very alert, & always has an eye out for danger. They choose to whether fight, or flee.

What does your calico princess look like? Yes I can't find much information on them either.
They sound awesome! I love a smart chicken. How much are they?

I am considering breeding Sapphire Gems as well. I love my Sapphire Gems. They are so docile and friendly, inquisitive and the perfect amount of bratty, if that's a thing! I don't have a favorite, but my Gem, Alma...man, I miss her when she's not near! Haha

Here is formally known as Pearl who is now Oliver. He was supposed to be a Cinnamon Queen, but in another thread, they said Calico Princess, which I do think so. His comb is larger than that now and the wattles have began forming!

Attachments

• 20210927_095220.jpg
    20210927_095220.jpg
    508.6 KB · Views: 1
  • 20210927_095501.jpg
    20210927_095501.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1

I am considering breeding Sapphire Gems as well. I love my Sapphire Gems. They are so docile and friendly, inquisitive and the perfect amount of bratty, if that's a thing! I don't have a favorite, but my Gem, Alma...man, I miss her when she's not near! Haha

Here is formally known as Pearl who is now Oliver. He was supposed to be a Cinnamon Queen, but in another thread, they said Calico Princess, which I do think so. His comb is larger than that now and the wattles have began forming!
Malays are very expensive due to their rarity, & the fact they're critically Endangered.

I almost spent $200 on 12 hatching eggs.

For chicks, the average price range is from $30 - $35 a chick.

Up, yep, I've seen you're chick once. Does look like it maybe a cockerel.

Sapphire Gems are a layer hybrid, & are a blue sex link. Males being blue barred, while females are solid blue.

Wow, all your alls answers are so informative! I'm swimming with information! So how do y'all go about knowing the sexes if I decided to go with a breed that isn't sex linked?

As far what I'd do with the ones that don't sell, especially the cockerels, I suppose I'll have try to give them away or... ya know, *slides finger across the neck*. Any other options?
I hatch a lot of chicks every year. After determining which ones I will sell as pairs and trios. Then selecting the ones to use in my breeding pens. I have quite a few extra cockerels and pullets to get rid of. Fortunately there is a livestock auction barn near where I live. They have a poultry and small animal sale twice a month. That is where I take all the chickens that do not meet my quality standards. I consign them two weeks before the sale I plan to attend. The auction company advertises them through their social media sites. I have never had any not sell. They start letting sellers drop off their animals at 8 a.m. I am usually heading back home by noon. With my check in hand. Yes the auction company gets a commission. Which I feel is money well spent for the service they provide.

Malays are very expensive due to their rarity, & the fact they're critically Endangered.

Sapphire Gems are a layer hybrid, & are a blue sex link. Males being blue barred, while females are solid blue.
Interesting. Could I just buy them from you? Haha. I'm hoping to get an incubator as soon as I know for sure I've got a rooster or two and will have fertile eggs. I just wonder how they would sell in Kentucky. I think most people here want something in a lower price point and would deliver good results such as egg laying and hardiness. But don't quote me on that. I'm new to it all. About how much do they lay a year?

Yes! And they are absolutely perfect to me. Now, I love my EE, SLW, and my two Black Stars dearly, but gee, those Gems truly are gems! So I would breed the with a blue and a barred, and not breed with one sapphire gem male and female, is that correct? Chickens genetics is an entirely new ball game for me.

Last edited:

Pretty sure he is a cockerel. He is so bossy compared to the rest. And I remember when my first flock was in the brooder and I recognized the leader, she wasn't nearly as assertive as this one!

I hatch a lot of chicks every year. After determining which ones I will sell as pairs and trios. Then selecting the ones to use in my breeding pens. I have quite a few extra cockerels and pullets to get rid of. Fortunately there is a livestock auction barn near where I live. They have a poultry and small animal sale twice a month. That is where I take all the chickens that do not meet my quality standards. I consign them two weeks before the sale I plan to attend. The auction company advertises them through their social media sites. I have never had any not sell. They start letting sellers drop off their animals at 8 a.m. I am usually heading back home by noon. With my check in hand. Yes the auction company gets a commission. Which I feel is money well spent for the service they provide.
That's awesome. Which breeds do you sell? Sorry if you already said.

Back
Top Bottom