Which Chicken Breeds Sell Best?

That's awesome. Which breeds do you sell? Sorry if you already said.
That's awesome. Which breeds do you sell? Sorry if you already said.
I sell OEGB, Dutch and American Game Bantams. Usually as pairs or trios. With the majority going to 4H members. I also have Double Laced Golden Barnevelder large fowl. From which I offer started birds, chicks, hatching eggs and table eggs from.

Interesting. Could I just buy them from you? Haha. I'm hoping to get an incubator as soon as I know for sure I've got a rooster or two and will have fertile eggs. I just wonder how they would sell in Kentucky. I think most people here want something in a lower price point and would deliver good results such as egg laying and hardiness. But don't quote me on that. I'm new to it all. About how much do they lay a year?

Yes! And they are absolutely perfect to me. Now, I love my EE, SLW, and my two Black Stars dearly, but gee, those Gems truly are gems! So I would breed the with a blue and a barred, and not breed with one sapphire gem male and female, is that correct? Chickens genetics is an entirely new ball game for me.
Yes, you could. The Malays are just not laying yet. One extra cockerel needs a new home, just to let you know.

Malays are poor layers, but high Production layers usually die sooner, so I usually go with the birds that are not bred for high Production status.
35 laying hens produce enough to sell, my mini fridge is packed.

You could breed two sapphire gems together, if you use male X Female sapphire gem you can create Splash, or Splash Barred offspring as a result.

Since the Male is only single Barred, only half of the offspring will be barred.

Pretty sure he is a cockerel. He is so bossy compared to the rest. And I remember when my first flock was in the brooder and I recognized the leader, she wasn't nearly as assertive as this one!
Update on your little cutie, we've been wanting to see colors of calico princess chickens?

Its all about the demand in your area. I tried with buff orpingtons and white leghorns and couldn’t sell them, so I went with what people were interested in, and for me that was unique birds and different colored eggs, like marans, americaunas and lavender orpingtons.
I'm heavily considering Marans chickens. I dont see them anywhere but I think people would by them because they are quite the breed.

Gonna have to learn how to cull too. You can't count on giving all the unwanted ones away. You have to only count on yourself not giving your problems away for others to deal with. Alot of people have these fantasies about one day bam being some great breeder but it all takes time

Yes, you could. The Malays are just not laying yet. One extra cockerel needs a new home, just to let you know.

Malays are poor layers, but high Production layers usually die sooner, so I usually go with the birds that are not bred for high Production status.
35 laying hens produce enough to sell, my mini fridge is packed.

You could breed two sapphire gems together, if you use male X Female sapphire gem you can create Splash, or Splash Barred offspring as a result.

Since the Male is only single Barred, only half of the offspring will be barred.
Oh I see. I really don't think that would sell much in my area, the south. But possibly could. I'm wondering, do you know anything about poultry ordinance? (I suppose that is the correct phrase.) I am at my limit of chickens I can have in my town, at least what I could find. Are able to have more chickens if you own a hatchery?

As far as the rooster goes, that is a possibility! I'll have to see if I have one or two roosters now. I want two. So if I need another, I'll highly consider the Malay. How much and how old?

Gonna have to learn how to cull too. You can't count on giving all the unwanted ones away. You have to only count on yourself not giving your problems away for others to deal with. Alot of people have these fantasies about one day bam being some great breeder but it all takes time
Yes this is something I'm aware of. I do not really plan on selling any of the first hatches of the breed I decide on, or the second, or even third. I want a chicken with good genes before I sell anything. And culling is definitely something I'm not afraid of. Thanks for the advice!

I sell OEGB, Dutch and American Game Bantams. Usually as pairs or trios. With the majority going to 4H members. I also have Double Laced Golden Barnevelder large fowl. From which I offer started birds, chicks, hatching eggs and table eggs from.
Sounds awesome. Which do you find tou sell more of out the 4 you listed?

Oh I see. I really don't think that would sell much in my area, the south. But possibly could. I'm wondering, do you know anything about poultry ordinance? (I suppose that is the correct phrase.) I am at my limit of chickens I can have in my town, at least what I could find. Are able to have more chickens if you own a hatchery?

As far as the rooster goes, that is a possibility! I'll have to see if I have one or two roosters now. I want two. So if I need another, I'll highly consider the Malay. How much and how old?
My place doesn't have a poultry ordinance unless in town. Where I keep my birds, I can own as many as I want. It's considered agricultural/country, or farmland.

I understand your location is different though.

26 weeks, one more week he'll be 6 months old. He's $30 - $35.

Update on your little cutie, we've been wanting to see colors of calico princess chickens?
Okay, just had a photo shoot lol. Here is Oliver/Pearl! He is definitely looking more like a cockerel to me contrasting the way my first flock filled out. His comb is so large and appears to already be turner more red! And his feet are huge. What do you think??

I also have pictures of my other chicks if you want see/identify!!😘

Attachments

• 20211003_104902.jpg
    20211003_104902.jpg
    418.6 KB · Views: 1
  • 20211003_104842.jpg
    20211003_104842.jpg
    453.2 KB · Views: 1
  • 20211003_104735.jpg
    20211003_104735.jpg
    260.2 KB · Views: 1
  • 20211003_104710.jpg