Which chicken in your flock goes in coop first and last at night?

birdlady79

Songster
5 Years
Jan 29, 2014
West Tennessee
My Welsummer usually is the first in and starts chirping at the others.. Followed by my 2 BA... Then my BR and BO ... My BR and BO wait until it is almost dark... They are always the first two out the door in the a.m..,

My EE, Hen Solo, I always first in. She's a real homebody though and never goes far from the coop at all. Don't know why. And my last is usually my little runt buff orpington or my leghorn. Both of them are very adventurous and would spend every bit of daylight hours in the woods if we didn't call them in before the sun was totally gone....lol

Last edited:
In our coop its the oldest hens first followed by the youngsters... The rooster is in and out until everyone is settled then he gets on his perch with his sidekick (3 month old rooster) Its actually kinda cute... Big blue (Blue Orpington) with a way smaller Buff Orpington...

I really should keep a camera in the coop lol

My RIR is always first into coop at night and last out in the morning. I tease her (Dixie) about needing her beauty sleep. Next one to the roost is one of my SLW Henrietta, then my BSL Dahla and last to bed at night is Penny my 2nd SLW. In the morning the first two into the run are Henrietta and Penny (my SLW's). Then Dahla, and about 30 minutes later comes Dixie :). We have 4 3-day-old BSL chicks and it will be interesting to see how things change in several weeks when we move them to the coop.

My RIR is always first into coop at night and last out in the morning. I tease her (Dixie) about needing her beauty sleep. Next one to the roost is one of my SLW Henrietta, then my BSL Dahla and last to bed at night is Penny my 2nd SLW. In the morning the first two into the run are Henrietta and Penny (my SLW's). Then Dahla, and about 30 minutes later comes Dixie :). We have 4 3-day-old BSL chicks and it will be interesting to see how things change in several weeks when we move them to the coop.

I'm working on intergrating 2 , 5 wk old SS... My 3 bigger ones BO,Wellie,BR are rough on them.... It's def not going as easy when I put my 2 BA in .. Of course the ages were closer....

The pecking order is going to be interesting.... Right now my BO is the head of the flock...

My red sex link and lead hen, Lucy, goes to bed first and she goes in early, leaving the other 7 girls behind. The "cow's tail" is the Delaware, Mae. Mae is ALWAYS last about everything. Last to come out in the morning, last to go in at night, last to jump on the roost, last to try a new food, last to investigate whatever new thing has their attention, etc.

Frankly, I think Mae is just timid. Or slow. Can't decide.

Back
Top Bottom