Which chicken should I start with?

Quote:
If you can order from Ideal you can get some of each. I ordered 3 of 8 different breeds for my first and only hatchery order. I'm not big on RIR's but the others are ok.

I wish you well ,

Rancher

EEs for sure. She was our sweetest chicken and the blue eggs are beautiful. Oh! And the fluffy cheeks are so cute.

We are getting some Wyandottes, Orpingtons, and Welsummers this spring. Is it spring yet?
wink.png

We have BPR, RIR, EE's and Polish. I wish we'd ordered a dark brown layer. As it is, the BPR and RIR are egg machines. The EE's not so much, and we get about 1 white egg every other day from 2 Polish hens. But they are all fun to watch!

Quote:
Mine are the same way!!!
sad.png
they will come up to me and graze around me if I sit still. They just don't like to get touched. My black stars climb all over me though! They will even attempt to perch on my shoulder.

Hi, no offense about the Rhodies, our first group of 7 two and a half years old, are great, touchy, feely ,

The four that are a little over a year are not the same personality or temperment as the original seven

Barred rocks are great, actually comical.

I have barred rocks, speckled sussex, black australorp, GL and SL Wyandottes, silkies, polish and sultans. I would recommend Barred Rocks, Speckeled Sussex or Australorps, they are my favorites. I have had buff orpingtons and they are a great bird too. Heritage breeds are very hardy and easy to care for and if you handle them from a young age will be very calm and lovable.

Last edited by a moderator:
I found someone local that is hatching Buff Orpingtons on Christmas eve and Sussex on New Years day. I committed to four of the BO's! I am so excited! I will place an order for the other breeds from the hatchery.

Agreed that it is so much easier and a lot less stressful to get them all at once. I also love the leghorns. Not super friendly to people but alot of fun. Im going to add some barred rocks soon. And I just love my RIR. They are awesome girls. Good luck. Its a great hobby. Also a little heartbreaking at times. But I would not trade this experience for any thing.

Back
Top Bottom