Which chickens are laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MiksMom, Mar 11, 2012.

1. MiksMom

MiksMom Out Of The Brooder

Jan 9, 2012
    I really want to know what eggs are coming from which chickens. I can't be checking the boxes every ten minutes to see which hen is in and what kinda egg is behind - not that I haven't tried, but I always seem to miss it and by the time I check again then there are two eggs, lol... Does anybody have a blog or something with pictures of eggs from different chicken breeds?

I get a light brown with lighter speckles egg - they are huge - like Jumbo from the store and very rounded at one end. Usually get at least one of these, sometimes two a day. I have two Buff Orphingtons & 2 RIR. I thought these were coming from the BO's, but then I found a RIR on the nest before I picked up one, so idk! I get a Medium size Medium brown color - very enlongated, again at least one a day. Then a slightly darker, slightly larger, more typical egg shaped, every other day or so. Been getting 5-6 eggs/day for the last week. Prior to that was 2-4/day since beginning Feb when we got the girlies...

So, yeah, this is probably worthless without pictures, right? lol. I can try to take and upload some pics later on.

2. lambchicks

lambchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2009
    North Carolina
    Do you have any clue as to the different hen's ages? Usually older hens lay the larger eggs.

3. Nightfeather

Nightfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2012
    Clinton, Utah
    put them in there own cages with nesting box and food. soon they will lay and egg and you can tell what egg they lay

4. williamsl77

williamsl77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2011
    Northeast
    You can also dab a bit of food coloring on their vent that will come off on the egg. Then you know who belongs to what egg.

5. cooped up

cooped up Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2012
    Portland, Or
    I can identify who laid what egg, but it took a couple of days to watch the birds and see who went in,then get the egg . I was also keeping track of who laid the eggs for two weeks. I don't think I'm going to worry about it when I introduce new pullets and cull a few 2 yr/olds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by