Which chicks should I get?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Jen4, Sep 7, 2008.

1. Jen4

Jen4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2008
    Munfordville, KY
    Hello Everyone

I'm new here and in the spring will be new to having chickens. Moved to the country 1 year ago and have wanted chickens ever since....my Uncle is going to buy me 20 hens and 3 roosters this spring. So I have lots to do...make a chicken coop and pick out my chicks and read about them so I will be prepared.....so what kind of chicks should I get for my 1st time. I want them for eggs and on down the road to eat....maybe.

Any advice would be helpful....Thanks [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 7, 2008
  2. augiedranch

augiedranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    Texas
    i raise rhode island reds. buff orpingtons and jersey giants.

all are dual purpose. eat and to lay eggs. however i do not eat any of my chickens.

the jersey giants are one of the largest breeds. they are HUGE. they lay pretty good.and the eggs are pretty big. these are great conversation starters. everyone is in love with the biggest chickens they have ever seen.. lol

rhode island reds and excellent layers. and a great breed. they can be bred with barred rocks to make blk sex links. who are amazing layers. the rir are fat birds!

buff orpingtons are beautiful birds and usually sweet. they just make my yard look colorful and pretty,, they are good layers too. i hear they have light skin so people can eat them.pluck the feathers easier... but again, i dont eat any of mine.

another of my favorite that i own. but i dont breed them. are ameracaunas. or "easter eggers". they are so cute and unique. they lay green or blue eggs! my ameracaunas are the most friendly chickens out of all i have ever raised. but i dont think they would be good to eat.. and they arent as big as some other breeds. mine are pretty fat though..and its exciting to get the colored eggs. they are my costomers fav~

3. chick4chicks

chick4chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    N.E. Pa.
    I have lots of breeds, see my byline. Red Sex Links and Golden Comets are good layers. These are my only ones laying as of now. Good luck on whatever you decide, you will love having chicks.

4. kdcrws

kdcrws Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    L.C. FL
    go to mypetchicken.com they have a breed finder

5. Jen4

Sep 7, 2008
    Munfordville, KY
    Thank You...I'm going to check everything out. I am soooo excited.

6. chickenfever

chickenfever Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    Arizona
    Just wanted to add I'm new to chicks too and mine are only 6 wks old, but my fav so far are Buff Orpingtons. Very pretty when grown, so sweet. They will sit in my 3 year old's lap while he pets them. They are supposed to be a good dual purpose chicken.

7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2008
  8. Jen4

Sep 7, 2008
    Munfordville, KY
  9. chickens4jojo

chickens4jojo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2008
    Upstate South Carolina
    All of them!! [​IMG]

No...that is way too many. [​IMG]

I love my Ameraucanas & their beautiful blue eggs....

They have been my children's favorites & the neighbors think we have this most unusual eggs around, too.

Have fun choosing. [​IMG]

10. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:I was very happy with the customer service at Ideal and the health and vigor of my chicks, now almost adult chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by