Which chicks to get!!!!????? help

roosty

Songster
11 Years
Jul 3, 2008
Georgia
Given the choice which chicks would you get? Which ones are the best... Im going to get some but Im not sure which ones to get....heres the choices....
Dominique
buff orpingtons
barred rocks
blue laced wyandottes
rhode island red

Please help me decide!!
barnie.gif
.... I will be selling eggs and chicks from whatever I get when they are old enough so which one is the best for that?

If these are your first time having chickens I would leave out the BLwyandottes. You really need to know how to breed and gentics to breed them right. If noise is a factor then also leave out the RIR for they are noisy. If you want a strickly american heritage breed that leaves out the BO as they are English. Both Dominiques and Barred Plymouth Rocks are great choises and can be sex by you. You are in GA so I would go with the Barred Plymouth Rocks as they have the single comb which will help keep them cooler. But Plymouth rocks have other colors too like Buff, Partridge, columbian, silver penciled, blue, black and white. Whatever you choose just make sure you are happy with it. You will have them for a long time so read up on each breed and look at pics before making final descion. Nothing is worse than a compromise and regreating it later.

Good luck.

RIRs are probably the best for eggs. I have some myself, and they are very sweet.

I personally will be getting BOs, GLWs, and BRs in 31 days! I'm soooo excited! Good luck with your chickies!
smile.png

We have 2 buff orp chicks (along with 2 red star and 1 black star) and the orps are everyone's favorite. As soon as you reach into the brooder, they run at you and hop right into your hand. While the others are friendly and will eat out of your hand, the orps like to snuggle. Best of luck to you!
Robyn

-Buff Orpingtons are good pets,mothers,egg-layers,cold hardy,just all good!!!
-Rhode Islands are good egg layers but can be a bit aggressive and are noisey
-Barred rocks are good layers,quiet,dual-purpose
-wyandottes are quiet,docile,ok layers
Not had any experience with dominiques but hear they were like barred rocks
Over all I would have to say go with Buff's there the best!!! Mine run to me when they see me coming and are just sweet balls of fluff!
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom