Which cockerel to give up?

I would certainly wait and see about both the noise level and attitudes. My “friendliest” Cockerel has turned into a very defensive (I don’t let anyone else but my husband in his pen!) Rooster. I have the room and housing to accommodate him and my 9 other roosters, and am zoned AG. My nearest neighbor, still occasionally mentions hearing my Chickens (and I’m on 600 acres) sound can travel! That said I love my Roosters and feel they do add something to the flock dynamics. I’ve had them drive off Ravens, hide hens from Owls, and sound alarms with varying degrees of proficiency/success. I’ve also had them be total jerks, flog my legs, bite me, and get too “enthusiastic” with the hens. Same darling Roosters... lol take your time with decisions, and sometimes the less likely seeming choice is the better one! Good luck

So I had to make a choice, as the girls were miserable and not eating. Yesterday, I gave up Pepperberg and kept Adam.

This is Pepperberg
pepperberg15-wks.jpg

Adam:

IMG_2488.jpg

Even now, have a plan B. Roosters are a crapshoot, some are a wonderful addition to the flock, some are a nightmare. Some go from the darling to the nightmare in what seems to be an instant, especially with inexperienced people who often misinterpret or excuse away the signs a rooster is getting aggressive.

Maybe you got lucky with Adam, good luck, if not, remove him too.

MRs K

Back
Top Bottom