Which colors do chickens like best?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Snozzle, Mar 12, 2012.

1. Snozzle

Snozzle Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2011
    Tri-Cities Tennessee
    I know some animals see colors different then we do, but I believe most birds can see colors quite well.
    I may be over thinking this, but what color would be good to paint the coop in. I don't want to paint it and then my chickens hate their coop and not go inside anymore. They are already so disturbed when I just change the slightest thing about it and color is a big change, but I need to paint it so the wood won't rot. I guess I could just stain it, but I already have a variety of paint here to chose from, so I would rather use it then go out and buy something else.
    Has anyone noticed that their chickens like a color better then another one?

2. Domestic_goddess

Domestic_goddess Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Utah
    Well I don't know about a specific color, but I know they peck at anything shinny! [​IMG]

3. chick0dee

chick0dee Out Of The Brooder

Sep 18, 2011
    Good morning Snozzle [​IMG]

My Roos and Hens seem ro love the color Yellow!!

4. Snozzle

Snozzle Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2011
    Tri-Cities Tennessee
    Good morning to you too!
    Hmm that would make sense, yellow is the color of corn, I would see why chickens would like that. As far as shiny goes, chrome paint would be so cool on the coop, but I'm afraid that it may start a fire, though I could inter gate a few rhine stones with some modeling clay I just need to be careful that they can't be picked off by curious beaks [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by