Which coop should I get?

topochico225

Enthusiasm Enthusiast
Dec 27, 2020
Deep South
Hey y'all!

I have 3 standard 11 month pullets and I'm setting 12 MF D'Uccle bantam eggs this week in my bator and keeping 2 hatchlings. My current coop is too small for the additions (TSC Cumberland Cottage) so I'm looking to buy a coop large enough for 3 standards, 2 bantams, with room to add more birds in the future. No more than 8 birds, ever. I do not have the skill or time to build a coop myself. It's very humid here in SE LA, so the coop needs to be sturdy and able to withstand the moisture. I don't want it to be super expensive, ($1000 at the MAX,) because I'm going to have to pay for as much as I can and my parents will make up the difference. What are your coop suggestions?

TIA!

Have you considered getting estimates from a handyman, cost to build you one?
The recommended space for "happy" chickens are 4sqft per in the coop and 10sqft in the run ... Guess 2 bantams = 1 standard
Another idea alot are doing here now is purchasing dog kennels for coops. I use a large plastic dog house for a nest box; 5 Wyandottes have fit, they preferred to a regular nest box. Then secure 2x4 for perches; that's a bit tricky or even a nice pruned tree branch. They sell/have those with the canopied tops, I use shower curtains for the sides to deflect rain (Hawaii = hot, humid and wet).

For Louisiana all you need is a great big roof, and wire the sides.

So, maybe look to see if you can buy a used carport or gazebo or shed.

Then reinforce any parts that have rotted out... spend good money on quality primer and paint to stop rot... and then cover it all in strong hardware cloth.

For hot and humid, you do NOT want a closed up box for a chicken coop.

Crap, sorry y'all. I didn't get notifications for this post. I'm going to end up buying a coop online (My Pet Chicken, prob) because these next few months are crazy busy for us, and we need as few complications as possible.

I'm thinking of this coop. What do y'all think?

Crap, sorry y'all. I didn't get notifications for this post. I'm going to end up buying a coop online (My Pet Chicken, prob) because these next few months are crazy busy for us, and we need as few complications as possible.

Looks like the coop itself is only 20 sq ft. Good for 4 or 5 chickens at most. Assuming you are not going to use the run area, because that part is way too small. Very expensive for the size.

Looks like the coop itself is only 20 sq ft. Good for 4 or 5 chickens at most. Assuming you are not going to use the run area, because that part is way too small. Very expensive for the size.
That's what I thought (price-wise.) I'm going to keep looking. I really want a Roost and Root, but they're SO expensive and they ship in May.

That's what I thought (price-wise.) I'm going to keep looking. I really want a Roost and Root, but they're SO expensive and they ship in May.
Unfortunately most of the prefab coops you see are too small. Rule of thumb is, it may hold about half the chickens they say it will. You can make some decent coops with upcycled materials. Plenty of coop ideas here on BYC. Many creative ideas out there. 😊

In Louisiana...

Chickens would die in that coop. There is no ventilation.

You want something like these:

So... OPEN, AIR FLOW.

cedarpet-ranch2_1.jpg
SmartSelect_20210329-104705_Samsung Internet.jpg
SmartSelect_20210330-161835_Samsung Internet.jpg
SmartSelect_20210330-161802_Samsung Internet.jpg

Back
Top Bottom