Which cuckoo maran roo to keep

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by storminstaffs, Jun 1, 2011.

1. storminstaffs

storminstaffs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2008
    Durham, UK
    I've got a really light coloured one, and 2 darker one's
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

backs of all 3 of the roo's
    [​IMG]

one of the darker ones
    [​IMG]

both darker ones
    [​IMG]

lighter one next to one of the hens
    [​IMG]

I'm thinking it's best to keep the lightest? Is that correct or do the others look better?

2. Maximus

Maximus Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2011
    Altha Florida
    I like the medium colored one.

3. snowbird

snowbird Overrun With Chickens

May 28, 2010
    Wolverine Country
    Just like to remind you that your standard over there is different than what we go by here in the usa. We have a approved Standard here and they must be feathered legged now to show.

4. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    Quote:That's correct. Most members here are from the US here. By the way, even the singular form of Marans has an S on the end.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2011
  5. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    I don't know about the colors, but I would think that you'd want to keep one with a good temperament as well.

6. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    Maybe you should go to the Cuckoo Marans thread.

I'm sure you'll get more positive help there.

I've had cuckoos but I only have a single pullet right now. She was part of a breeding program for developing Golden Cuckoos and she's the only Marans I have with clean leggs, but We're all working on those.

There are some Maranas Gurus on there and they can help you pick which one would be better for your breeding project. They are very helpful. There are several Maranas threads so feel free to post on them, but with these guys I would suggest the Cuckoo thread, so you can get help from here on out.

7. flgardengirl

flgardengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Sunny side up :)
    Can you wait longer to decide? I would let them get a little older before I picked one if possible. They change alot upon maturity.

8. Debbi

Debbi Overrun With Chickens

May 2, 2010
    Missouri
    Aww, just keep them all; you know you want to! [​IMG]

I agree with flgardengirl, hold on to them a bit longer, they can change their appearances drastically in a few week's time.

9. storminstaffs

storminstaffs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2008
    Durham, UK
    I can keep them till they start fighting with each other, hopefully they won't as they seem great with each other, there all friendly at the moment but I know that can change as they mature, I'll post in the marans thread when they get a bit older and i've gotten better pictures, and I know english marans are different to the french (which i think is the one's you's have in the US, correct me if i'm wrong)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by