Which dog breed?

there is one that breeds her standard poodle with her border collie. The pictures are adorable, but I’d love to see
Stay as far away as possible from that breeder. This doodle fad has had people breeding poodles to everything just to make a buck. That is such a senseless pairing IMO. Two completely different types of dog, bred for completely different purposes in life. At least labs, Goldens and poodles are all retrievers. Get your poodle from a breeder that wants to breed the best poodles they can, not someone out to make a buck. Ask for screening for hips and elbows, eyes, allergies. A good breeder will not make money on a litter, as they will have spent a lot on prescreening, vet care for mom, tail docking, etc.

I have know many good pit bulls, but their combination of prey drive, strength, and alphaness (for lack of a better term) is not what I'm looking for. ! would really rather get something that is more laid back this time.
Fair enough, but you clearly haven't known the same pits I have, lol. Some are hyper, but lots are downright lazy. But I never want to push pits on someone that isn't in love with the breed. So much to deal with just from peoples reactions.
Just get the poodle, and a good pair of clippers.:)

5DA00263-EF48-4605-AD8C-60EC5FA4D433.jpeg 85A843A9-B970-45A7-88D3-775321DF0D9D.jpeg Would you consider getting a rescue dog? I just got the most adorable and sweet puppy from a rescue. My pups a pug, chihuahua and dachshund mix.

I love the looks of weimaraners, but reading up on them there are a lot of cautions about cats and other small animals. Do you find that to be true?
Mine LOVES the cats. He comes up to them and pets them with his nose. I don’t really trust him 100% around the chickens, but from what I’ve seen of him on a leash around them, he is really good.

But also saying that, it comes down to the individual personally within the breed. Mine is very calm, but you could end up with one that is a nut job and half. That’s the hard thing for me when recommending breeds.

Shiba Inus can be little alligator biting doggies, just sayin'. :oops:
y smartest ever dog was our German shorthaired Pointer, another German dual purpose hunter similar to Weimeraners. Active! We called him our 'perpetual motion machine'! He was raised by us to be good with the chickens, he hunted and did hunt tests, and was wonderful. BUT it took a lot of time and effort to convince him that obedience meant EVERY time, not sometimes.
Chessies also need a boss, or will rule...
If you are in love with big poodles, go for it!
AVOID the person crossing hers with a border collie!!!
Mary

I think you should and will get the dog you are drawn to. What I will recommend is to get a GPS tracker (Whistle is the best in my opinion). I follow more than 5 different pages on FB of Lost and Found Dogs and it is sooo sad how many go missing. I don't sell or have anything to do with the Whistle company professionally but I have tried several trackers and have talked a lot with others that have also. With Whistle, you put it on their collar and load an app on your phone and you can see where your dog is on a map. And you can track them. You set up a "safe zone" on the app and if they leave it, you get a notification. The only real concern is to be sure that there is AT&T cell coverage in your area. That is what Whistle uses to communicate with your phone. It doesn't matter what your phone carrier is, just like if anyone else calls/texts you. There is a monthly fee that is reduced if you pay a longer time. The pic is an example of tracking while going for a walk
View attachment 1609770
This is very interesting. The cell service in rural areas could be an issue, especially in the mountains of WV

We had a boxer, man I loved that dog. She passed away early (only 5) and she still was a puppy at heart. How do you think they’d do with the Nigerian dwarfs and the chickens? Our boxer never met a cat (or dog or kid) that she didn’t love to chase. She just loved that game. She wasn’t mean at all and when she “caught” you she’d turn around and run off for you to chase her.
My boxer is excellent with both the chickens and NGs! She's deaf so not the ideal flock/farm protector, but she plants herself next to the brooder chicks when I let them out to forage, making sure to block those nosey goats from crashing through their enclosure lol. As far as the goats. Our wether likes to try to bluff or butt her and she just holds her ground. She'll snap at them if they get too pushy but never anything close to being aggressive or potentially cause harm. Overall she's the perfect dog for our farm and family. I have a 6 year old who was born when Stella (the boxer) was 3. He is 100% her boy and she tolerates much more from him than I do, and I can be a total pushover lol I always said I'd only have pits but Stell and I fell in love and were destined for each other- she was one of 9 puppies from my sister boxers' litter. The last pic was right after Shen's surgical castration lol
20180512_154725.jpg
20180530_152855.jpg
20180629_110210.jpg

My boxer has high prey drive. My last two weren't so bad, so it's important to test pups of any breed for higher prey drive if that's important, and to pick a more mellow pup.

Shiba Inus can be little alligator biting doggies, just sayin'. :oops:
y smartest ever dog was our German shorthaired Pointer, another German dual purpose hunter similar to Weimeraners. Active! We called him our 'perpetual motion machine'! He was raised by us to be good with the chickens, he hunted and did hunt tests, and was wonderful. BUT it took a lot of time and effort to convince him that obedience meant EVERY time, not sometimes.
Chessies also need a boss, or will rule...
If you are in love with big poodles, go for it!
AVOID the person crossing hers with a border collie!!!
Mary
Those Shibu Inus trick with their cuteness. Boy, are they ever adorable. I'd NEVER have one.
I love German pointers. I've never met one with a bad temperament. They are most certainly on my list, and my list is pretty darn short. I'm somewhat strict with my dogs, lots of boundaries, and obedience training, etc. Your thoughts for a small farm environment with free range chickens, ducks and kitties as far as basic personality goes?

Back
Top Bottom