Which dog breed?

Pics
My one Doberman showed me that it's not the breed for me. It was like a very needy toddler, always wanting to be a large lap dog. Nice, but just not independent enough. They have health issues to avoid (who doesn't?) but can be wonderful for the right person.
I think medium to large will be a better choice for a farm, so safer from coyotes at least.
Mary
Mary, the size is one of our concerns with the min pin and one reason we want a larger dog for her companion.

Puppies aren't always the best choice, you can never be sure what you're going to get. An adult dog's personality is known- for example, you'll know if this dog is going to be one who's more prone to chase prey animals than others.
I know that, and we have adopted adult dogs in the past, our concern is for the min pin who isn’t as dog friendly. We know with time and training she will adapt, but figured it would be easier on her to introduce a puppy rather than a large adult dog.

My favorite is the Weimaraner. They are loyal, loving, and beautiful dogs. They have an extremely short coat that requires almost no grooming. Each hair looks like little eyelashes. They barely shed at all which is great. They are known to be a bit wild, but only if you get them from an unreliable breeder. They are EXTREMELY smart dogs, easy to train, and they are people pleasers. They want to make their owners happy. They do have a few downsides though. They have to have someone who is clearly dominant over them, or they will become leader and do whatever they want. Also, if you don’t have a good blood line, they are wild. My boy, blue, is the sweetest, most gentle dog you would ever know. He loves to cuddle, but he also loves to play. He is the perfect dog for us. We actually go him back when we lived in Texas, so if you are interested, I can recommend a great breeder. (We will only ever get Weimaraners from this breeder)
B3C9F075-365C-47F1-8AA4-96BC30E7B062.jpeg

This isn’t a great picture because I was holding a treat so he had “wild eyes” :gigI can get a better one later.
So blue is fully grown at about 80 lbs. they look a lot like labs, but they have sleeker coats, shorter hair, different temperaments, and they have bigger ears. They are super expressive, and good models, so you see them many times on dog food bags, and some people dress them up as people :)

I love this breed! Let me know if you have any questions about them or want any pictures or recommendations about them or another breed. (I also have Great Pyrenees, but I’m not sure how well they would tolerate the heat)

ETA: here’s a better picture I just took when I asked him if he wanted to go potty:p
ACE1A0A6-6BF9-4C2C-8B7D-87121C24C55D.jpeg

933C8179-6460-44A8-B7FE-2E9F47CCE88E.jpeg

View attachment 1609015 Don’t under estimate the value of a shelter dog.
I don’t at all, and I’ve been watching both our city shelter and our local no-kill shelter’s webpages. The problem I’ve been finding is that the city doesn’t evaluate their animals at all, so you really have no idea of what temperament you are getting. The no-kill shelter does do evaluations, but since they get the ones from the city that are hardest to rehome they have long lists of things like “not good with cats” and “must be in a single dog home”. I keep checking back with high hopes and being disappointed.

One breed that can fit all that criteria that hasn't been mentioned already is a pit bull. I know they have a bad rap but I've known hundreds of great sweet friendly pits. Prey drive varies a lot,
I have know many good pit bulls, but their combination of prey drive, strength, and alphaness (for lack of a better term) is not what I'm looking for. ! would really rather get something that is more laid back this time.

Although we want our dog to be good with animals, we aren’t looking for a LGD but a house pet. We are still trying to decide what type of guardian companion animal to get, but are leaning towards a donkey or llama.

I couldn’t possibly tell you the benefits of a donkey or a llama but fun! I have ridden a donkey, can be very stubborn at times. Good pack mule though. I have seen a few llamas here on farms during free farm tours.

Back
Top Bottom