Which Duck Breed Fits us Better?

BrightFarms

Hatching
5 Years
Feb 13, 2014
Okay, so my husband and I want to get into ducks for eggs and meat, mostly eggs and we'll eat any spare drakes.

We're debating between Indian Runners or Khaki Campbells.

There's an Indian Runner breeder nearby, and he says he's getting great egg production, and that his ducks don't fly, which would be nice since some of our chickens are very good at flying over their fence despite clipping their wings. Is it true that Runners can't fly?

He said not to get Campbells because they'll fly away in the fall. Is this true?

What the pros and cons of these two breeds?

Or is there another breed that would fit what we're looking for?

I know there are better hybrid laying ducks, but we want something we can breed ourselves down the line.

Another random question, can you keep ducks and chickens together? Or do we have to build another coop just for the ducks? Will the ducks put themselves to bed every night like the chickens do? Can they eat the same feed we buy the chickens (16% layer feed)?

Thanks for all the help! We're totally new to ducks and just starting to do some research, I don't want to bring home any animals without being prepared!

Well I don't own either breed, but I do know that campbells don't fly. The only ducks that can fly are mallards, call ducks, an muscovies. I heard khaki campbells are very good layers as well. Hopefully someone who owns one of these breeds or both will post something. Good luck :)

Okay, so my husband and I want to get into ducks for eggs and meat, mostly eggs and we'll eat any spare drakes.

We're debating between Indian Runners or Khaki Campbells.

There's an Indian Runner breeder nearby, and he says he's getting great egg production, and that his ducks don't fly, which would be nice since some of our chickens are very good at flying over their fence despite clipping their wings. Is it true that Runners can't fly?

He said not to get Campbells because they'll fly away in the fall. Is this true?

What the pros and cons of these two breeds?

Or is there another breed that would fit what we're looking for?

I know there are better hybrid laying ducks, but we want something we can breed ourselves down the line.

Another random question, can you keep ducks and chickens together? Or do we have to build another coop just for the ducks? Will the ducks put themselves to bed every night like the chickens do? Can they eat the same feed we buy the chickens (16% layer feed)?

Thanks for all the help! We're totally new to ducks and just starting to do some research, I don't want to bring home any animals without being prepared!
Runners can get some air due to them being lighter but they don't really "fly" like chickens.

That is not true about the Campbells.

I think Campbells would be a better choice for a dual purpose breed. You might also want to look into Welsh Harlequins.

It's possible to keep the two together but if you're keeping a drake around I would house them separately.

I have to put my ducks up at night.

They will only need layer feed when they are laying. It will have too much calcium in it for the drakes and non laying ducks.

My runners don't get much air - nothing to be able to get over a fence though.
When they are laying, they are egg laying machines!

I have 3 friendly ducks - 2 runners from the original 3 (other died) and a welsh harlequin. Lots of variety with runners.

Runners can get some air due to them being lighter but they don't really "fly" like chickens.

That is not true about the Campbells.

I think Campbells would be a better choice for a dual purpose breed. You might also want to look into Welsh Harlequins.

It's possible to keep the two together but if you're keeping a drake around I would house them separately.

I have to put my ducks up at night.

They will only need layer feed when they are laying. It will have too much calcium in it for the drakes and non laying ducks.

X2. I have Campbell's and they are great. I don't feed straight layer feed when they are laying but mix in some with the flockraiser feed. Campbells are also great foragers and eat lots of bugs, slugs and snails.

Sorry don't have either runners or Campbell's. Have Welsh Harlequin. They're the best of both. Great egg layers year round, non flighty, gets along with all my chickens, will brood their young, able to determine sex up to the first week. I still have to do the duck roundup every night but they will stay in the coop at night. Don't think I would trade them. Good luck with your search!

Khakis will not fly away. And they're the best egg-laying breed out there.

They're not as pretty as some breeds and they're definitely more nervous around people but if you don't care about those things then they're a great workhorse breed.

Back
Top Bottom