Which Duck Lays The Most Eggs But DOES NOT Fly??

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Marissa Van, Feb 18, 2014.

1. Marissa Van

Marissa Van Out Of The Brooder

Dec 17, 2013
    I am looking for a duck that doesn't fly but lays a good amount of eggs. We have been told the best ones to go with are going to be the Khaki Campel for the best egg production and they don't fly they stay close by. Is this true?

Thanks in Advance [​IMG]

2. subhanalah

subhanalah Overrun With Chickens

Welsh harlequins are typically better layers than khakis. Also if you want a REALLY proficient layer you should go with the Golden 300 hybrid or the white layer hybrid. You can find them here.http://www.metzerfarms.com/DuckWelcome.cfm?CustID=2273072

ETA: Also khakis are generally more nervous than the other breeds I mentioned.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2014
  3. Dwen

Dwen Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2012
    Concord, NC
    Khakis have the best reputation (some 260-350 a year), but only if you get stock from a reputable strain. Welsh Harlequin, a breed developed from khaki campbells, lay just about as many, have fancier colors, and generally a better disposition. Neither breed can fly.

Like subhalanah said, there are also various hybrids bred especially for egg production.

http://www.metzerfarms.com/BirdInfo...e Layer&BirdType=Duck&ID=WHGOL&CustID=2273335 -I have had experience with these, and my hen is both friendly and reliable.

http://www.metzerfarms.com/BirdInfo... Hybrid&BirdType=Duck&ID=GOLDE&CustID=2273335

http://www.holderreadfarm.com/Fall_adult_sales_list/Fall_adult_sales_list_page.htm (scroll down to the paragraph under ducks about Golden Cascade)
    None of these fly either.

-Dwen

4. ducksinarow

ducksinarow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    WH were originally called Honey Campbells. They are a color variant of the KC. I have both WH and KC. Both are excellent layers. They can both fly somewhat. They will fly 5 feet off the ground and up to 40 feet in distance in my yard. Usually though they only get off the ground a couple of feet. The males seem to fly better than the females. My KC are no more nervous than the WH, but they are smaller. Mine go to their pen at dusk. They beg for treats at both front and back doors.

5. cosbackyard

cosbackyard Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2013
    Colorado Springs, CO
    KC's are supposed to be the best layers. Mine lay daily year round. I get about six per week per bird.
    And no - they most definitely do not fly.

6. soccrkep1

soccrkep1 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 30, 2014
    All 4 of mine fly over a 6 foot plus fence, unfortunately. 1 White Layer, 2 Buffs, 1 Welsh Harlequin. Great layers, but I got them because supposedly they wouldn't be able to fly over a privacy fence. That was a lie.

7. Amykins

Amykins Overrun With Chickens

May 11, 2013
    I think Pekins are a good bet. They typically lay 200-300 a year, sometimes even more when they're in top health! They're also super docile and don't fly. Well...they're not SUPPOSED to, anyway. All heavy duck breeds have the rare exception.

8. buff goose guy

buff goose guy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2014
    Mississippi Y'all
    All campbells, golden 300 hybrids and the duck literally called the white egg layer at mcmurray hatchery are all bred for egg production and meat.

9. Dwen

Dwen Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2012
    Concord, NC
    In general, these breeds of birds don't fly. I have 4 WH and 1 white layer who can't get over a 2 foot fence. If you need to keep them in, just trim the outer wing feathers (the longest 5 or so) of 1 side and this will keep them grounded until the next molt. Where did you get them? I'm curious who sells flying white layers.

~Dwen

10. soccrkep1

soccrkep1 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 30, 2014
    I got them from Metzer last August. There shouldn't be blood feathers right now, right? Based on their age? They are so squirmy, I don't think I'll have time to check before cutting. I'm so stressed about this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by